The Stream

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Day 4 Jamaica. Free Day

Morning paper

photo

We couldn't make any appointments this day because of missionary transfers and our drivers would be gone. We decided to rent a car with the Hunsakers and drive up to Ocho Rios (Ochie- if you're local) and see what it had to offer.

photo

I told you the Jamaicans were inventive--look at those zip ties they have on their hub caps.

photo

You cross over the blue mountains, which is sort of like the road to Hana --that's what Dr. Hunsaker compared it to. Luckily, the carsick gal that I am did not get sick! It must be the blessing of being on a service mission is all that I can figure. Also, Mat got to try his hand at driving on the left side of the street again. He drove that way when he lived in Australia and he admitted that it was kind of fun to rally the car around those tight turns and 1 lane streets.

photo

Once in Ochie, we found our destination, Dunn River Falls.  You climb up the waterfall starting from the beach.  You would think the bald stoned rock underneath the falls would be slimy smooth, but it is actually grippy and easy to climb. I did just fine in my chacos vs their $7 sticky shoe rentals.

Jamaica Dunn river falls

The start--wish we could have played, but our journey got started right away up the falls.

A nice day off from our humanitarian trip.

Why I'm wearing that swimsuit cover? I don't know because I got wet with in seconds.

Jamaica Dunn river falls
I'm sure this part of the course was entertaining for the Jamaican tour guides.  Nothing like pushing Americans into the water. Never gets old having us shout "Ya Man" (ya mon if you're local) and then shove

Jamaica Dunn river falls

Later, lunch at The Jerk Centre. Seinfeld: "The Jerk store called and they're all out of you!" We had the daily special, escoveitch -the cute little decorated fish and also the conch (conk, if you're local)


Jamaica ochie
Jamaica Dunn river falls

Then we hit the beach.  There were no signs marking these beaches and we were looking for the James Bond Beach.  Directions from local: "Go down 2km and it's across the street from the gas station. " You follow her directions and realize that the gas station must mean that building over there getting remodeled that looked nothing like a gas station.

photo

Just as we parked a helicopter landed over head and we thought it was for sure the bad guys getting away as if we were in the James Bond movie.

The beach wasn't crowded at all and it was delightfully quaint with it's rickety wooden chairs and shade trees.   The water was warm and aqua blue.

photo

I"m glad we could taste paradise, even if it was just for a day

image

We made some friends, most of them from the cold north places of Toronto, Wisconsin, and Russia. Brilliant people to vacation here. Brilliant.

photo

Brilliant husband putting on his sunblock too!
photo

Gorgeous drive back to Kingston.

Port Maria, Jamaica

We did get pulled over for speeding.  The policeman said: "The police have a ticket for you." When we apologized and showed him our American license he told us" Oh. Okay. We let you go but slow down and be safe." We don't have a tax ID number here so there is no way to pay it.

When we rolled back into town, we accidently found Devon House I-scream again and they happened to have coconut.  It wasn't as flavorful as I thought it was going to be.  I told you, I'm picky about my ice cream.  I managed to eat it anyway, but I think that was my last.

No comments: