The Stream

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Oh yes. Headed for Jamaica

Packing my missionary clothes for Jamaica. These mission trips kind of give me an excuse for a whole new wardrobe. In Jamaica it is 80-90 degrees all year round with humidity, so I needed some light weight shirts.

photo

I'd like to picture meself in Jamaica on a tropical island, splashing water at Mat in the ocean waves, laughing so carefree...however that is probably not going to be the case.


We were asked to head down to Jamaica to develop a vision mission for our church.
We are official with our tags:

photo


This particular mission is called a development mission. We haven't done one of these, so we were asked to shadow another vision couple, the Hunsakers to see what it entails. These missions are a little trickier. We have to talk to the government and hospitals about a future project. It's not always easy to explain to the officials that we want to find a doctor that helps the poor and we will provide them with free training and equipment. They usually think there is a catch.   A lot of times you get a funny look or a flat no, "why would you do this?" "And there is no catch?" Sometimes you're also dealing with corrupt  governments. Although, what government isn't corrupt? It will be interesting to see how tomorrow goes making cold calls with certain officials, but we've got a plan and we'll sure try.

We went to church  today at a local branch. They are hoping to get a stake here in June.
Here are some pictures of our 45 min journey to the branch building. Sugar cane fields on our left.

photo

Markets on our right

photo

photo

The church:

photo

The Hunsakers and Harrises  Side note: President Hunsaker was my Grandma Bullock's stake president in her ward back in Alpine, Utah, whom she adored and could NEVER stop talking about. Everytime we visited her, it was President Hunsaker this and President Hunsaker that and did you know he asked me to be the music chairman? Oh yes, we did Grandma.  I heard about this man endlessly and now look--my grandma has since passed on, and now I'm graced with his presence. I'm positive she is smiling.And look! He is smiling too--another Bullock? 

photo

SO--we're now sitting in sacrament and got passed a note that read: 
"we will ask the couples from Salt Lake to share their testimonies. Can you let them know that for me. Signed: President Jones "

photo

I have a testimony about my experiences, God, and Jesus Christ, but while I was sitting on my hardwood bench, I couldn't help but quickly turn my thoughts to the people of Jamaica. What were their experiences? What have they been through? Our parallel lives as different as our skin coloring. When I approached the stand, I bore my testimony and said how much I love being a mother and how much I love kids. This was a level we could all relate.  I told them about back home how it is not all that different (minus our simple comforts we take for granted).  I told them about the work we were here to do with our vision project and how we can all give service in some way.  I pointed out the pianist and how I wish I could play the piano.  I explained that I didn't have a musical bone in my body, but I appreciated her and this ward for letting us come and be with them today. I sat down, heart flittering like it usually does and caught my breath. Afterwards, President Hunsaker assured me that my Grandma Bullock was sure to be smiling.

Sunday School:

photo

In Sunday School, I have an attention span of a flea, and decided that I would head down to primary and check things out. Time flies when you are with kids!  I was helping out in jr primary and we had three kids fall asleep just like that! One for each of our adult arms. It was warm in the building, and my arm started to drip with sweat, but luckily we had ceiling fans to bring down the temperature.   The kids acted just like our kids do in primary at home. Some can sit in a chair and some wiggle , wiggle, wiggle. But! They all know God loves then and they are all trying really hard.

photo


This little girl in the pink just had to touch my hair. She'd take a strand and just slide her fingers down it to the end.

photo

photo

Back up for the last 10 minutes for Relief Society
photo

I found myself playing a game of cheese tag with this cute little muffin.  I'd smile, then she'd smile. 

photo

photo

Outside after church.

Primary Children
photo

photo

photo

photo

Hunsakers (vision commitee), Harrises-same and you know us, so why am I explaining?, Murdocks from Monrow, Utah (Humanitarian Couple serving a 18mth mission--lately their projects have involved getting wheelchairs donated to the hospitals and chicken coops set up for the local residents)

May Pen, Jamaica

We are back at our hotel. We are heavily advised not to go out at night because of the dangers, so Mat and I are in our hotel room eating stale M&Ms and watching march madness basketball.  Mat is actually still catching up on paperwork for St. George and I am really the one eating the M&Ms.  I can't wait for him to be done. You know how long I last sitting. 

1 comment:

jweed said...

love that you guys are doing this again! and mic, how do you always look lovely? even in humidity?