The Stream

Friday, March 28, 2014

Day 3 Jamaica F.I.S.H, Devon House, Fort Charles

We had an appointment with F.I.S.H in the morning. The F.I.S.H foundation was set up by a doctor who had a vision to serve the poor.  The people of Jamaica needed health care and all that was required of them was to pay what they could. You can imagine what shape this clinic was in. Yes, this is a place we can help.

Pictures around the clinic

Jamaica Tuesday March 25

We first met with Dr. Thompson, the director on the left, and then Dr. McGregory, the ophthalmologist. They too had a wish list of supplies and materials and we will try to the best we can.

Jamaica Tuesday March 25

I got some snapshots around the clinic to give you an idea of the people.

Jamaica Tuesday March 25

Waiting rooms full of people waiting to be seen.  (I guess I stuck that lady in twice)

Jamaica Tuesday March 25

We finished up early so we took a tour of the Devon House--a plantation owned by a local millionaire in the 1800s

Jamaica Tuesday March 25
Take your time and read the green, yellow and white sign Patios--the language spoken by Jamaicans.
Jamaica Tuesday March 25

Jamaica Tuesday March 25

Below are some home items that deem the Jamaicans as very inventive

*That low chair is for nursing mothers, so when they are feeding in the middle of the night and fall asleep, the baby doesn't have to go too far
*Fold out game table
*Nursing glass bottle
*The piano was just cool

Jamaica Tuesday March 25


We had lunch and then there was the ice cream.  It is one of the top 15 places in the world to get ice cream, so I'm told.  Maybe I'll put that list on my bucket list? I wanted coconut, but had to settle for mango (mongo).  I sampled quite a few flavors at Mat's embarrassment before deciding. I am so particular about what ice cream flavor I'm going to choose to lick for the next five minutes.

Jamaica Tuesday March 25

We had time for Fort Charles an old English port referred to as Sodom and Gomorrah for all of the wicked pirates. It had an earthquake and knock two-thirds (two-tirds, if you're local) into the water.  It had two more earthquakes after that. And, that's why I didn't mind getting out of there. Boy! I'm looking parched and sweaty--I was.

Jamaica Tuesday March 25

Check out this building that sunk into the ground. It wigs out the stomach, so I stepped in and I stepped out. Also, there were almond (a as in cat, amond, if you're local) trees with ripe fruit.  This I could not rip open with my bare hands like I did the mango.

Jamaica

Later, that night we had dinner at the hotel since we are on lock down after dark. The food was okay, but the atmosphere and the company were out of this world.

photo


This guy played 80s songs that I normally HATE, but I actually quite liked them due to the swaying palms, the lighting, and warmth.  He put a reggae spin on these old songs and turned them into bubbly, cool jamming tunes. Move over Barry Manilow and Rod Stewart

photo

No comments: