The Stream

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Quick stop to Colorado

Lindsay thought it would be fun to head over to Colorado and visit Jocelyn, our sister inlaw. We miss having her around and my kids miss her kids dearly since we were back east together.  Although, the kids were all sorely disappointed that they weren't coming. It was a girls kind of trip.

Day1

When you visit Colorado Springs you must hike the incline. It's an old railway they used to use to haul mining goods. It has since reached expiration, but the railroad ties are still there and that's where the fun begins-- or your butt begins. About 2,000 stairs and on a fifty degree day, it was perfect. Jocelyn's kids are power houses and climbed it like nobody's business. I was up ahead with Avery and Danny and parents kept saying to me that they wished their kids could climb this-- believe me, I took full credit for being the parent of these two. I smiled and said they are strong kids, what can I say? Shoulder shrug.  Although knowing my kids wouldn't have made it to the top.

photo


photo

The Group

photo

We had a picnic later Jocelyn style. Jocelyn will take the day before any visitors come and prepare food for the next few days. She says she hates preparing food when people are visiting. She's right.  You usually are out and about all day and then when you get back to the house, who feels like cooking a meal or knowing what to fix? So, by the time you wake up, she's got it all packed up in the cooler ready to head out. She's always prepared and so resourceful.

photo

Day 2

Just we girls headed up to Boulder.  We stopped off at this Indian restaurant to enjoy some delights.  Jocelyn swears that if she eats from smaller dishes, that equals smaller the portions.  True, but that only works if you don't go back for seconds and thirds.

photo

photo

We did some shopping downtown. We found some fun items for the kids and husband.

photo


It was a tad chilly, so we stopped in to Starbucks for something warm.  For some reason, people NEVER hear my name right--it's usually Nicki, but this time Vickey?

photo

After that, we all thought at one point in our lives we've been called some 80's name, so we referred to each other to Joyce, Linda and Vicky the rest of the trip.  I needed a swimsuit and I didn't feel like paying $100 for it, so we spent most of night shopping at Target.  That's right, Target.  We must have spent an hour there, even though we all have one much closer to us.

Day 3
Church-awesome missionary farewell. I'll never forget his voice.  It was so low and deep, it almost sounded unreal.  We headed to breakfast after to a diner called Walnut something Cafe. Maybe it was just Walnut Cafe, can't remember, but it's very comparable to the Blue Plate Diner in Sugar house.

photo

Off to a hike in Flat Iron Mesa.  Lindsay and I didn't feel like changing out of our skirts to hike.It's my one outfit a day rule and I guess hers too.  Besides, our suitcases were already strategically packed from all of our Target shopping and I just couldn't bare the thought of having clothes spring out all over me.

photo

Oh the looks we got! We called ourselves the sister wives. Who else would be hiking in skirts in Colorado over the mud and snow.

photo

A little more walking downtown

photo

Finding surprising things along the way--used book store

photo

And then we were off to home.Thanks for the lovely time.  Even though it wasn't the best timing with the remodel and all, you are always glad you did it.  If you can't make time for the good things in life, then you're going to spend your time doing the mundane and then you die. Hey- I think I'll put that on my tombstone.


No comments: