The Stream

Saturday, February 5, 2011

"You Said You Would Call!" (Job Love Triangle Part 4)

A month goes by and they have interviewed the other woman (it was actually a man doctor, but whatever). And, we think by Friday of that week we'll know if Sacramento still likes us and if they want to get MARRIED! We are so hoping they propose. Happily ever after. I already picked out my dress and flowers, they just have to give us the RING.

Friday goes by and we haven't heard anything from our soon to be fiance. Why hasn't he called? Why hasn't he emailed? Did we say something wrong? Did we not say enough? WHY HASN'T HE CALLED!? Breathe. I'm okay. It is a holiday weekend, we will give him until Tuesday of next week, surely he will call then.

Nothing. No communication from them whatsoever the whole week! The line went cold. We got this icy feeling that something was not right. Was it my hair? Is it the way I dress? Maybe Sacramento's hurt? Maybe there was a bomb I didn't know about and they have no way of contacting us! Oh my! Maybe the chairman had a heart attack and he is in his hospital bed trying to form the words, "Call the Harrises and let them know they have the job. I'll be alright. Just call them."

Sadly, I HONESTLY had all these thoughts running through my head. No lie. That is how mentally insane I was that week. Parenting skills and copings skills flew completely out the door. I was a ticking time bomb. Absolutely irrational at times. The kids could feel it too. I walked up to Gretchen's room one night to check on her. She was still awake and greeted me with a sigh-fully, "Moo Ma!" (new nickname my children have given me that has stuck, unfortunately). I gave her a hug and she said, "Moo Ma, don't worry, Jesus will show us the way and where we should go." Pushing down the frog now swelling in my throat and stopping the leaks in my eyes, I squeaked out "Oh, Gretchen, you don't know how much I needed to hear that." Gretchen: "And He better not take us to a place with earthquakes or tornado either." Then I burst out laughing.

As Mat and I laid in bed unable to fall asleep, we had come to the decision that we would call them. Tomorrow. On a Saturday?

to be continued.... (I'm telling you it was a saga!)

1 comment:

Joellen said...

funny thing is, i know the ending and you have me on the edge of my seat :)