The Stream

Friday, February 4, 2011

Going Steady (Job Love Triangle Part 3)

Since we were soon hopelessly in love with Sacramento, we HAD TO tell them how we felt. We were ready to move on from the dating stage -- to wanting a serious relationship stage with them. We had gone out to dinner in downtown Sacramento with the chairman and his wife and a few other doctors and their spouses that night of the interview. (Weird, I'm still thinking about that fresh brussel sprout salad from the dinner I had that night. Who knew brussel sprouts could be so agreeable to my pallet? Who knew I would still be thinking about that salad weeks later. Carry on.)

We decided to go for it and tell Sacramento how in love we were with them. We told them that this is where we would like to be listing all of our goods from our list and then we asked when we could we hear from them. Their response, "You are a very impressive candidate and we think you would be a great fit for our practice, but...." I HATE buts!, "But, we have one more guy to interview a month from now, so we won't let you know until after then." Seriously. A whole month!

A month was a long time to wait, but I was still in love, so I was going to move them up to boyfriend status until "the other woman" stepped into town. I drew hearts around their name, dabbled a bit in their real estate, dreamed of cross country skiing in Tahoe, designed my espalier fruit trees in my future backyard and I even visioned catching a Broadway play in San Francisco as a surprise treat for the whole family.

Occasionally, we would send emails to Sacramento letting them know how we still felt about them. We also made a few calls to people working inside the company to see if the department was still thinking about us, like we were thinking about them. Oooo la la!

To be continued....

1 comment:

andrea said...

You're killing me Smalls....and I know how it ends.....get on with it already!!:)