The Stream

Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Breakup (Job Love Triangle Part 5)

Like I say, Mat and I were lying in bed Friday night, not talking and tired of thinking about thinking, really. We had replayed every possible scenario in our aching minds about what Sacramento was going to do with the job. Occasionally, sighs would drift out and occasionally one would say, "what if we....." but, we mostly just laid there staring up at our textured ceiling.

We decided to call Sacramento the next day, Saturday. Not too early, not too late. We didn't want them to have the afternoon crankies. We let them get some breakfast, read the morning paper, go for a run.... then we dialed. Perfectly timed. The first doctor didn't answer so we left a message. The second call was to the head chief, the Chairman. He answered and immediately sounded nervous. After Mat hung up with him, and said, "I certainly don't feel any better after talking to him. He just said they haven't made a decision and they would let us know next week, but he sounded so uneasy, like I caught him off guard." An hour later, the other plastic's doc returns our call. He was totally cool. He told us they hadn't made a decision yet. Mat was still high on their list. Fair enough. I'm still breathing, deeply and very intentionally now. Well, at least we'll get their decision soon, I thought. Frankly, I'm just happy to have a decision and move on. You either want us or you don't, but we have to make a move onto Palm Springs if you don't.

Monday morning comes. Our inside guy in the company, who we've been in contact with, calls telling Mat that the Sacramento position has been given to another guy from San Diego. This guy's wife was already hired by the company as a radiologist so, by hiring him, they were a golden couple for them. (Queue the wedding bells) Mrs. Radiologist and Mr Ocular Plastics Guy were happily married to Sacramento, Monday January 31st, 2011. I'm sure they will have a wonderful life together and I guess I shall be happy for them.

Mat called me to deliver the bad news. During Mat's phone call to me, the chairman finally emails us his one liner decision that we didn't get the job. How disappointing.

My stomach feels like it just got punched and I quickly took a seat on our bench to curl over. I didn't cry, just blurred a bit from the rejection. That one liner email from the chair made me too sick to cry.

Devastated. How could he just break up with us like that? We loved you guys, you said we were a good fit. I thought you loved us too! Maybe you'll change your mind if you just take a moment to think about it? Maybe you'll create a new position for us because you'll realize you MUST have us? you had us at..... hello. (Do you want your pen back?)

To be continued

(last one coming tomorrow, if you're still with us, if you still care and I hope you do)

No comments: