The Stream

Sunday, February 6, 2011

And Then You Walked In... (Job Love Triange-the final post)

That Monday morning, when Mat called me with the bad news about Sacramento, he also called me with good news on a new job lead. Sigh. After learning that we didn't get the Sacramento job, he sat down at his desk feeling like crap. Yes. There are no other words for it. That's how you feel in a bad break up, like crap.

As thoughts go by at his desk, Mat gets Divine inspiration to check back with a doctor we had approached over the summer in Salt Lake City, UT. Mat didn't know why he was doing this, but he did and he soon began to dial his number. When the secretary answered, Mat explained that he just wanted to see if the Dr. C had decided to retire yet (as of the summer, he was not ready to). The Secretary said, "As a matter of fact, he decided to two days ago to retire. His lease is up in September, and he didn't want to renew it, so he said it was time to go. Would you like to speak to him?"

Really? After speaking with Dr. C, Mat was booking a plane ticket to fly out the very next day to go and meet with him. Luckily, he left when he did because a terrible snow storm hit our area and he wouldn't have made it otherwise. Mat's mom cried. My mom, in utter shock. Grandma Elaine's prayers had been heard. She's magical. And, I am in a stupor trying to figure out what just happened

While in SLC, Mat had a really good conversation with Dr. C and he called me to tell me that he felt like it went really well. He was firm and honest with him about taking over the practice and thankfully Mat was well prepared (thanks to few phone calls, Stokers, family and the Internet google: How to take over a practice?). Of course, there was another guy who had also approached Dr. C about wanting the practice too. (What is up with the other guys? Stop following us already! It's really getting on my nerves.) But Alas, we got the call Wednesday night, from the nice man, Dr C, asking Mat to be his partner and eventually his successor. Mat's mom cried. My mom cheered. Grandma Elaine probably already knew through intuition. And me, I'm happy we can move forward. There's a lot of possibility for us with a little hard work and it will be good to embrace family for a bit.

So, we did get our happily ever after. We got a ring (telephone ring that is, Wednesday night), a date (July), and a beautiful wedding (Mat's very own practice). You are all invited to come and see us at our new home in Salt Lake (when we find it).

We asked Palm Springs if we can still be friends. We hope to hang out with them occasionally for road biking and rock climbing.

My, how things turn out! Funny how your faith is maxed. Funny how much you have to trust in God that things will work out. I really started to hate that phrase "Well, things will work out for the best" when people would say it to me, "things will work out ba ba blah blah." I was just tired and emotionally drained from it all. It was hard to swallow, but I knew it would eventually work out.

As for the kids, they were surprised it wasn't California. They are excited to chum around with their cousins and grandparents. My only concern is telling Gretchen about the fault line in Salt Lake City and it's pending earthquakes. We'll spare her that detail and celebrate for now.

We're coming home, thank you God.

The End.

20 comments:

McArthur Family said...

Yay!! Whoohoo!!! I'm so happy for you guys! That so did not end the way I was eagerly predicting throughout the days of anticipation. Mic, you are an amazing writer! I even had Doug read it last night as I was just so on the edge of my seat. I just love you guys and am so thrilled for your new adventure. It really is amazing how we may be peering out one window, but then the Lord leads us to a door with a much fuller view. I just love it!

Shauntel said...

SHUT UP!! And here I was betting on Cheyenne.

I'm totally emailing you.

CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome back to the mother land!

Amber said...

No Way!! That was a great story and a fabulous end!!! Might I suggest Draper, it's the home of an outstanding biking partner and running partner if I do say so! :)Wherever you are we'll be so happy to see you! Congrats!!!

Kelli said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! I just don't have enough Yays for you guys. It is so amazing how Heavenly Father has a plan for us and everything fell right in to place for you guys *after trying your faith for awhile*. So happy for you guys.

Jeanette said...

Congrats!! I am so happy for you guys. I love the thread of the earthquakes through your story, very well written indeed.

Holly said...

I checked back three times a day to read the story. I'm so glad it ended well!! Congrats to you guys!

The Singer Family said...

I've been loving your story girl! SLC--that definitely threw me for a loop. How exciting. And see...it really does all work out for the best, right? Just what you wanted to hear. :)

Jenny said...

I've loved reading your posts the past couple days-- the suspense was killing me! Congrats!!!

Rachel Oswald said...

Wow - such a thrilling ending! Interesting turn of events. I'm so happy for you guys. It will be so nice for you to be near family again. Good luck with everything!

Melanie said...

I am happy for you!

Jill said...

Loved your story. It made me cry. The job hunt is such an emotional thing. We had a crazy job search experience too. I loved every post. Hope to see you soon! :)

Summer said...

YAY!! We are so happy for you guys!! You were killing me with all of your to be continued's... I even got Jake hooked and he was so excited he got to read the last post before me!

Joellen said...

I'm so excited that you will be so close!

sunnie said...

So glad for you! Hopefully your move back to Utah is good, ours was sure a culture shock. Still kind of wish we were outside of the state.

Wendy P said...

Congratulations! I have enjoyed reading this saga, I like the "stay tuned nature" I was totally thinking it would be Cheyenne. Good luck with the move and all the prep that goes into it. And again Congrat! How fun for you guys

Ashley said...

YAY!!! That is AWESOME! :)
God does know and care about us...we have had a simialr experience with Houston...Good luck and tell Mat Congrats! from the Hanks family! :)
Tables are turned...we will have to get together with you guys when we come to SLC to visit ;)

Caroline said...

I have not been keeping up on this love story, but I skipped ahead and I can't believe it! How sad we'll be driving further north at the exact moment you'll be driving west.
I think you'll LOVE Salt Lake City. Have you guys ever lived here before? There are so many outdoor things to do, great schools, delicious dining, fun family events...I know I don't need to sell it to you. I'm just excited for you guys. Call me and we'll chat. When you come to look for housing I will make you Indian food. Now I will go read the whole story.

Emily S. said...

Can I just join in the crying and the cheering?!!! This is the best news I have heard all day. Too bad for Chris and Carrie - Hooray for us!!! It looks like you already have a long line of friends awaiting your arrival but please keep in touch with the details. This is very exciting news :-)

Kallas Family said...

Oh my goodness! I am so excited for you guys! We for sure need to come up and see you guys! Isn't nice to finally know where you are going and plan?

andrea said...

See how happy all you friends are? Imagine the grandmas and grandpa!!! We are over the moon about getting our kids home. Becket wants to be a potter and his grandma the potter now gets to teach him right here in her own studio....it doesn't get better than that.