The Stream

Monday, May 21, 2012

Induction

Mat was being inducted into the ocular plastics society, so naturally, we flew down...without kids. We called this our end of the long road celebration.  It was held at the Dove Mountain Resort just outside of Tucson, AZ.   We have some friends that we went to med school with in Scottsdale, so we broke up our time and spent part of the time there and part of the time at the resort.  The saguaro cacti (pronounced sa-wah-row, sounds like you can't say your awres-- say it fast 3xs), were beautiful and the heat was stingish.


Step 1) Drop off kids with Grandma and Grandpa

photo

Step 2) Board the plane and prep puke bag--luckily I didn't use it
Step 3) See the Rodgers and pick up Julie

Step 4) Wake up and go boating

photo

Step 5) Get those moles checked out on my back

photo

Step 6) meditate or something?

photo

Step 7) Swim across the lake like a whole 2 miles, I swear.

photo

Step 8) Find a sweet shop and devour--10lb gummy bear

photo

Who's your daddy?

photo

Step 9) Hang out  for laughs after a pleasing dinner at the Herb box

photo

Step 10) Mat wakes up and runs 17 mi to Tom's Thumb.  It was a Forrest Gump thing where he just kept on running. Happens all the time.

photo

The thumb

photo

The blooms

photo

Step 11) Get pedicure for the first time in my seven year drought.  I even got the gel nails, which I've always wanted to try! Love them, let's see if they hold up to rock climbing.

Hope W's nails are dry?

photo

As I always say, once you have gnarly feet, you always have gnarly feet, even if they are polished.

photo

Step 12) Drive to the resort, enjoy fancy homemade s'mores, a drive in a Camaro, a pool and the gnats that go with it, and a nap.

photo

Step 13) The induction dinner at Old Tucson where hundreds of movies were filmed including most of John Wayne's, Little House on the Prairie from 1977-1983, and the Three Amigos.

photo



photo

Dead man laughing, I think not!

photo

My new can-can sisters all sporting way more cleavage than I'll ever sport-EVER.
photo

Step 14) OFFICIALLY INDUCTED

photo

Step 15) Tour the Taliesin West Winter Home by Frank Lloyd Wright. Gave me inspiration for our 70's home.
photo

photo

Front Door

photo

photo

And that ends our trip.  We flew home yesterday just in time to catch the solar eclipse as we were getting into our car. We're now playing catch up, where's my Ritz Carlton wait staff when I really need them? I can get my own dang towel and carry-ons, but will you come and do 3 loads of laundry, grocery shop, unpack, check homework, and bathe my kids?  I'll tip you good.

The conference for next year was announced to be held in Newport, Rhode Island.  One of my favorite places in the country see last year's visit. Very exciting if anyone cares to join us.

2 comments:

Emily S. said...

Hey I've been to Taliesen (sp?). Very cool! Looks like an awesome trip. Man - you are gorgeous people!!

shelob said...

Of COURSE Frank Lloyd Wright's giving you inspiration for your house . . .

By the way, you need to tour his Oak Park studio, which means you need to come to the Midwest . . .