The Stream

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Rags to Riches

Rags to Riches

We said goodbye to our happy, peaceful friends of the forest and we headed south towards our final destination, Amelia Island, FL. We stopped at a few places since we had some time to kill before check in.

St. Simons island for tree art. A local artist carved faces into trees to represent sailors that had drowned at sea. Little did we know we would be sent on a challenging scavenger hunt all around the island. We only found one out of the five.

St. Simons face

Next was the submarine coming out of the grass in St. Mary's, GA

Land submarine

And finally, we made it to Amelia Island. Apparently, pirates used to frequent the area The island has collected over $177,000 dollars in gold doubloons and they say the pirate chest has still not been found. We even looked, still no chest. The island's other major industries are the paper factory and shrimp.

So rags to riches. Here we are at dinner that night on Amelia Island for Mat's work conference and it dawns on us what completely different worlds we stepped foot in. Hippies last night, the Ritz Carlton the next. The dinner was set on their own private beach with linen covered tables, waiters serving hors deuvres of scallops, crispy Brie with cranberry compote and gently wrapped egg rolls (the word, appetizers would have been too casual) There were also around the world mini buffets served for dinner.

ASOPRS welcome banquet, Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, FL

Mat and I soon realized what middle of the road people we are. I like my pits shaved and toenails clean, but I don't like people waiting on me or listening to higher ups trying to work their way onto higher social ladders. Bleh to both! I shan't complain, we were on a beautiful island and once I found ME niche me and me mateys were alright.

1 comment:

David said...

so beautiful. Wish I were at the beach right now