The Stream

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Island

Amelia Island was lovely, with the exception that I was used to having Mat 24hrs a day and now he was having to endure a conference. He was done by 1:30PM, so I suppose I could survive the beach and three kids for that long. These kids don't require a whole lot of entertaining.

Amelia Island beach

Well, let's say the older two were easily entertained, but as soon as the third saw her mother sit down to read a magazine, it was time to become the bossy sandcastle lady. Micah "Mom, I need 20 of them. One here, here, and here," as she marks them out with her foot. Geez!

Amelia Island beach

We went to a local beach Friday and then the Ritz Carlton beach on Saturday. I quickly learned that I should have lounged at the Ritz both days. They had umbrellas, cabanas, and towels. Der!

At the beach, I was able to chat with a mother who felt the same way as I did coming to these conferences. We were both a little out of our comfort zone and we were having a hard time reading the other spouses. In ONE conversation, we shared birth stories, her adoption story, growing up, getting pregnant and where we were going in life. At the end of our conversation, I finally asked her name and we laughed. Her name was Kim. She was a congressman's wife from NY and I am so glad she was on the beach that day. Our conversation ended rather abruptly when an ominous storm rolled in. I didn't even have time to grab Gretchen's shoes, so I left them to take refuge under the outdoor restaurant. I would have gone into the hotel, but little Miss fell asleep standing up, imagine that? So I waited with my rugged crew until Mat was done presenting.

Micah falling asleep sitting up

The girl can fall asleep anywhere, even in a dramatic rain storm!

After the storm, we went into the historic district, Fernandina. We found lovely sidewalks and docks to meander down.

Amelia Island waterfront

Amelia Island waterfront

We also got some inspiration for our future home in SLC.

Amelia Island historic district
Afterwards, we went to family movie night at the Ritz and I ran into my new friend Kim from the beach.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I have to say, I love it when you guys go on trips! I want to take a "Harris-style" trip someday. We once had a conversation about the kinds of homes we liked and still whenever we see anything like those pictured above Corey and I always say, "Hey that's a Mat-n-Mic house!" We'll keep our eyes open for ya!