The Stream

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Born, Bus Bound

I just put my first born on the bus this morning for his first day of school.

We walked up the hill and I gave him a few last things to remember..."Remember to put your lunch bag back into your backpack, remember to wait in line, listen to the teacher and pay attention, please pay attention." When we were walking I asked him if he was sure he was alright to ride the bus and he said, "I'll be fine mom, I want to ride the bus! I get on the bus, go to school, and then come home." As I put him on the bus, he was out of sight...there was just an inner, strained gasp, a WAAAAIITTT! But, it was too late, the bus driver shut the door, a couple of feet from my nose and sped away. The bus was loud and abrupt. That was it--I feel like he is fresh prey now or he has a target on him or something. I am now just passing the minutes until he comes home at 4PM. I just want comfort in knowing that he has not been eaten by any carnies or hunters and that he has survived his first day of school alone.

Beck's first day of school
IMG_3881

Carrying the heavy backpack up the big, long hill
IMG_3887

Sianora, my dear Becket
IMG_3891

7 comments:

Rachel Oswald said...

Oh my gosh my eyes started to tear up just reading this and thinking about my kids starting school. I am going to be a wreck. Becket is so creative and funny, I bet he'll teach any potential carnies to back off! Miss you guys.

Stoker Family said...

It is just so sad when they are gone all day. I feel like it is going to take me a long time to get used to it. I have been super sad all week. Hope he has a good day.

Cheryl said...

I feel your pain!!!!! I've gotten a sick feeling in my stomach each day we do the bus thing but the greeting when they get off is priceless...I feel like a million bucks. Ky, thinks the days are too long and she is so excited to come over. Please tell me it will get easier!!

Melanie said...

I am in SUSPENSE!!!! WHAT HAPPENED? I must know.
-your devoted fan

What's the Fancy Dance? said...

Wow- what a big boy to be riding the bus on his own. And what a brave mama! I totally know the feeling of sending them out into the world. I hate that someone else is spending more time with them (and influencing them)than me.1

Julie said...

I think it is always harder on the parents than the kids. I also think it gets easier as they get older.......... Yeah for school!!!
;)

Emily S. said...

Awwww. That is so sweet. Becket is so awesome - I am sure he is loving school!