The Stream

Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Things Parents Say

Do you have any catchy sayings you find yourself saying to your kids? Some that have been repeated from generation to generation? Here are a few that Mat and I use and maybe you want to add to it too:

"You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" Anytime they are dissatisfied with their color of plate or toy given to them.

When it's time for their wee little bit of work that has to get done and they start to complain, I often say, "You think I enjoy doing this...cleaning, cooking." "Don't you think I might want to be doing something else?"

"You weren't raised in a barn."

When they note that something stinks, Mat's reply, "It must be your upper lip!"

"When you're a grownup you can choose to do it differently" Works well for when they beg you for a pet.

"How many Moms are there? How many kids are there? Can I do everything at once?"

"Blood, Barf or Bones?" I would use this phrase if my kids had a major emergency--

"If I would, I could!"

1 comment:

Dave and Mel said...

"How many times do I have to ask the same thing?"
"Love you more"
"Why do you think stepping on that is a good choice?