The Stream

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bus Stop Watercooler

Continued from previous post....
We had our little bus stop international night and it was so fun and interesting. I love these new friends, especially their added insight. But, what I really love about them is that they are so blatantly honest with each other. Why aren't we more like that with each other---American speaking? We tend to tiptoe around obvious truths. These people, they just say it like it is, and I like that. No room for gettin' 'ffended.
Here is a group shot...Miss America/Mexican, Anna, Sue , and Hema. (Tahani from Morocco couldn't come because it is the beginning of Ramadan so hopefully she will come next time)
Meadowridge Townhomes summit
Here is the spread. They all explained what they were, but honestly I can't remember them. I needed to write them down phonetically because when it's in another language, I can't remember it for the life of me. Fish tacos-red platter and guac chips, Indian dishes upper left corner in the bowl it was a dessert and the other was a vegetarian dish, Korean-bottom 3 noodle salad with spring lettuce and vinaigrette, another salad, and rice rolls, Polish dishes (hunter's stew made with saurcraut and sweet pierogies) on both sides of fish tacos. I must be getting old because I'm journaling about the food I ate.
International spread
Everyone--if you are out there and I hope you are! Take special notice to Sue's South Korean salad. Look at the perfection in her match sticks. She even separated the egg whites from the yolks and fried them separately. When it was time to start, she tossed it with a dressing and then rearranged it to look pretty again.
South Korean salad
Isn't this little girl beautiful? They were all dressed up, like they were going to a Bollywood premiere. Absolutely loved their garb. (Brooke if you're listening, you have got to get your can up here!)
Rama and daughter
Other news
Becket invented a new super hero--We calll it the "tiger super ninja"--it was unique and worth posting and he scared us coming around the corner.
Tiger super ninja
Becket is with his two full-time teachers, Ms. Latanzi and Mrs. Miner (right) at back to school night. His class size is so big (33) that he has 2 teachers and a full-time aid and a student teacher to boot for 6mths.
Becket will soon be moving up the ranks to earn his decorative badge for safety patrol in no time. When he gets home from school, he tells us a complete break down of the rules AGAIN, who broke them, and why they shouldn't have made that choice. He then proceeds to tell us how good he was.
Back to school night
We did surprise the dear boy for lunch last Friday. The girls were totally pumped with their backpacks stuffed with lunch. I curled my hair and had on an ironed shirt. When we saw him in the cafeteria we were so excited and started waving, but all he did was give us a confused look, squirm and cringe and then followed the line to sit down. I was crushed, but then I realized that he wasn't about to break any rules, it was his rep on the line! He clearly wasn't going to invite us over nor save us a seat. I grabbed the girls hands, butted in line and told the kindergartener friend to step aside because this seat was reserved for his mama! Lunch was uneventful, loud, and germy. I won't be going back soon even if mister safety patrol thinks to invite me back. Ah, so much for the cool mom going to eat with her son---the hair went into a pony when I got home.
Sharing a lunch at school

Lunch with the schoolkids

Mat and I went on a date later that night, so the ponytail came down later, but by then the shirt was wrinkly...go figure
Freedom

Passed out. Sometimes I feel like doing that as an adult. The end.
Micah sleeping on the stairs



3 comments:

Emily S. said...

That lunch sounded wonderful. That is something I really miss - cultural diversity. Funny story about the lunch date. I have gone to eat with my kids before and I am not sure I actually come away looking like a cool mom. And sadly I have to force down the food :-)

Erin said...

That lunch looks AMAZING! So cool Mic. I too love the bluntness of some people. I have a friend who is that way and I so love being around her and her "say it like it is" personality.

Cute pic of you on your date too! :)

Alicia H said...

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing. I can totally hear your voice and the way you speak in my head as I read it and it makes me laugh (inside) hee hee hee. As always we MISS you folk. Can't wait till your closer...will you EVER be closer?!?