The Stream

Friday, September 18, 2009

What do you get when....


What do you get every morning and afternoon when you drop your kid off at the bus stop?

Uh, I don't know.... maybe a bunch of moms from different parts of the world.

Countries represented at the bus stop: Korea, Poland, Morocco, India, Iran, and Miss USA (Me). Miss USA sounds so average, almost boring! Who wants to be normal speaking when you are at this bus stop? Maybe I'll invent my own dialect to throw them.

Anyway, we the moms, decided to have a potluck at Anna's house. She's a very cool mom from Poland and I love it when she says girls because it comes out like grrs. Did you know that in Poland you only celebrate your birthday until you are an adult, 18yrs, then you celebrate your Saint day, since most of the people are named after their strong Catholic Saints? So, Anna's real birthday is in December, but now she celebrates her saint day which is in the summer. Is there a Saint Micki somewhere maybe stemming from the name Michael? I've always wanted a summer birthday. Anyway, back to the potluck, everyone is bringing a meal from their country. I immediately thought hotdogs and apple pie or possibly fast food to represent America--but to put a little more thought into it, I figured I grew up with such a strong Mexican influence living in the southwest, I would bring Fish Tacos. I figure I'm practically Mexican because I have some family members who look Mexican and I'm going to run with that.

I am very excited for tomorrow. I've always wanted to get in real tight with an Indian because they can cook like no one's business. I did find out that Indians do not eat pig or cow. I didn't know cow--Hema said it was because the cow is very sacred.

Yo me apresuro mejor a mis amigos-the afternoon bus is coming in 5 minutes.
Adios!

1 comment:

McArthur Family said...

Micki,
I found your blog. It's filled with such wonderful pics of your kids and creativity. Enjoy your international feast tonight and thanks so much for being willing to watch my kiddies. You are the best!