The Stream

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Deadly Pungent Asafetida Spice Almost Sent 7 Yr old to Car Top Carrier

Asafetida was the one ingredient I lacked for my new homemade Indian dish. I finally found it at none else then... Ready for this? the Indian store. The spice is very strong smelling even inside the bottle, but the kind Indian woman assured me that it was good for digestion and the smell dissipates when cooking.
Well, when I got into the car it was a different story. Becket couldn't handle the nose piercing smell. He moved to the back seat by the girls to try to breathe. Soon we all realized we could all taste that smell on our tongues, so I sealed it up in our trail mix bag.
Photo Sep 10, 2011 2:47 PM 
Becket's whole world is turned upside down and he "nose" it . Bad, i know.
When I brought it into the house, we could still smell it so I bagged it up and stuck It in our storage shed.
Photo Sep 10, 2011 4:02 PM

The spice definition:
Asafoetida (Ferula assafoetida), alternative spelling asafetida,( /æsəˈfɛtɨdə/)[1] (also known as devil's dung, stinking gum, asant, food of the gods, giant fennel, hing and ting) is the dried latex (gum oleoresin) exuded from the living underground rhizome or tap root of several species of Ferula, which is a perennial herb (1 to 1.5 m high). The species is native to Persia (Iran) and India[2]. Asafoetida has a pungent, unpleasant smell when raw, but in cooked dishes, it delivers a smooth flavor, reminiscent of leeks.

2 comments:

Erin said...

K- Mic. WHAT are you doing cooking with ingredients I can't even pronounce!? Around here we use things like peanut butter and mac & cheese (spiral if we're really feeling wild). Can I come to your house for dinner?

Ashley said...

Look at you, torturing your own children all for the sake of making something yummy! ;)
You will have to let us all know if it was worth it.
We are hoping to run into you guys while in St George for the marathon :)