The Stream

Friday, October 22, 2010

Sue and Bueller

We ate at Subway for lunch, a place that the kids have never eaten at, but have always wanted to go. I think it was the catchy, "Have it your way at Subway!" slogan that had them intrigued. They were disappointed to learn that they served most of their LEAST favorites. They thought riding the subway and eating at Subway was a riot and this is what led me to my 2nd mini break down in another restaurant (see Indian restaurant post a few down). Between hyper "have it your way kids!" and Micah hanging on the chip basket for the third time then finally knocking down her chair, I had had it. I took a deep breath and said to my sweet children, "Say thanks mom for not killing us at lunch." Kids in monotone voices, "Thanks mom for not killing us at lunch." Becket: "Why would you kill us?" Me: "Forget it."

IMG_3627.jpg

We headed to the Field Museum. We talked to Sue the dinosaur. Well, more liked roared. She's doing well, a little achy and brittle, but well. She is the most complete T-rex in the world.

IMG_3630.jpg

They had the perfect little corner for my kids to nest in. This-

IMG_3641.jpg

They are always make-believing nests and eggs with their dinosaurs at home and now it has come to life. Speaking of coming to life--how about king tut and the ancient ways? They got a kick out of the Egyptians beds. I told them never to complain about their sleeping arrangements at home--I could always make them a bed like this:

IMG_3631.jpg

We were fascinated by the whole Egyptian wing. When Micah saw the mummy in the tomb, her words, "We got to get him outta dare!" Obviously we didn't, and that was a good thing with security buzzers and all. I did have them try to pull a piece of the pyramid. They moved it a whole big fat zero millimeters.

IMG_3633.jpg

EYE SEE MAT! We met up with Mat for dinner, but after the dear ophthalmologist posed in front of the eyeball. How perfect to have this piece enucleated for the ophthalmology conference.

IMG_3642.jpg

It is actually the artist's actual eyeball that he tried to replicate himself. Mat's words, "He did a good job, it is anatomically correct." That is from a person who sees a lot of eyeballs, so I decided to poke the artist in the eye to see if it was real.

IMG_3644.jpg

Off to the Art Institute of Chicago, because it was free night. We stood in front of A Sunday Afternoon at La Grand Jatte by Seurat, just like Cameron did in Ferris Bueller's day off. It was amazing, yes the art, but mostly the Ferris part. I love that movie and it made me miss it. I asked Mat to get it for me so that we could watch it when we got home. Chicago = FERRIS

They also had these lovely homes we could tour in the museum:




Except they were all miniature! Trick and a treat. A Chicago must!

IMG_3645.jpg

1 comment:

Rachel Oswald said...

I love how much Micah is talking now. She's a riot! You guys are master road-trippers. I am definitely going to copy all your car ideas for our next trip.