The Stream

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Big Windy City, Not so Windy

We made it to Chicago after a few wasted hours of learning that cereal USA, Battle Creek, MI didn't have a cereal taste tester table waiting for us (closed forever) and that an intriguing sculpture we were looking for was only on a two year display--it is amusing some other part of the country at the moment.

Last time I was in Chicago, it was cold, dark, and seemed unfriendly. This time with three kids and mostly solo, I have had a whole new experience. It must be the sun and the Indian summer days. It's a happy place, clean, lively, lots of things to do.

We got in a little early so we checked in and checked out Northwestern University per Anna's suggestion.

IMG_3577.jpg

It was absolutely wonderful. It was a Charleston, SC except north, way north. Quaint streets, well groomed classic houses, and street Christmas lights in the trees. I love it when cities decide to leave them up all year round. They set the ambiance so nicely.

IMG_3585.jpg

We hit an Indian restaurant, hence Micah's packed sandwich. A lot of people belong to my Indian food club, my kids, not one of them.

IMG_3583.jpg

They were also so wound up! After bounciness, the YOUR TALKING TOO LOUD talk, and the fifth time to the bathroom, I had had it! As my kids and I were riding up the elevator, I took the 30 second moment to look my kids in the eye and tell them flat out that I was grumpy, tired and hungry, so BEHAVE! They actually took pitty on me and did it. Especially after Mat got Mr. Wackadoodles to stop showing off and draw the framed picture on the wall. Brilliant Matty! Dinner was exquisite after my little elevator break down.

IMG_3579.jpg

Tomorrow, our first adventure into the city, and no keys! Find out what happens on this Harris Life.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I have noticed in the past few posts that Beckett is a REALLY GOOD artist.
But I guess I knew that since seeing him draw an intricate and very correct dinosaur on the blackboard when he was only three years old.
Impressive.
I think he might be an art genius.
Seriously.
Thanks for the fun posts on your travels--your adventures always make we want to hop in the car and just go find something interesting to explore.