The Stream

Thursday, October 14, 2010

So Debbie Gibson and an X Wing Jet Fighter Walk into a Bar....

_HAR5472.jpg

A little off the beaten path, but it was the X Wing Jet Fighter that intrigued us to find this place in Ohio, and when I say "we" I mean the little 1980's Star Wars boy that constantly burns inside, MY HUSBAND. He is a sucker and we both laugh knowing this! So, here it is and we just happened to have our light sabers (see previous post).

_HAR5467.jpg

We didn't have the intentions of feeding our family at the bar, but the owner of this bar seemed to have personality and a bus to eat in..."Table for five please, in the bus!" Not only was the bus pure randomness, but so was the boat, the Elvis booth, and great wall decor.

_HAR5471.jpg

Rocking isn't it? When Debbie Gibson's "I could Never Love Again" came over the speaker, I sang every word to Mat who was apparently shy because of the overwhelmingly powerful lyrics and my way of smoothing off every word. Mern, I think I owe it to our sleep over lip sync days that allowed me to recall this lovely tune by heart. A neighborhood kin, we used to give points to each other based on appearance, lip sync, hair, and dance on nights we slept over. We always awarded the other lower points so that both of us were winners by the end. Debbie Gibson, Paula Abdul and Whitney Houston were the regulars. There was a lot of rewinding of the old tape cassettes. Premature American Idols you might say.

_HAR5477.jpg

I asked the waiter where to get this party mix of 80's and 90's songs and he said, "You can't. It's all of the owner's material. In fact, you'll probably hear the Sound of Music before you leave. Mike loves the Sound of Music ('SO DO I!', I scream inside!). When I interviewed for this job, he asked me how I felt about the Sound of Music." I have a feeling Mike and I could be really good friends.

IMG_3549.jpg

Later, our traditional pillow fight on our first night. Sorry Mindy, yes it is a Marriott and those are their pillows.

IMG_3544.jpg

We also played hide-n-seek, getting real creative in our divided one bedroom hotel room.

2 comments:

Mindi said...

hey--i am ALL OVER the pillow fight.

could it be that there are WAY WORSE THINGS that happen in a marriott room? i think YES.

(ps i could give that dude a run for his 80's/90's money.)

Joellen said...

Gretchens hair looks so cute! I wish I was invited on one of your family vacations...