The Stream

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chicago Style Everything

No Keys. I remember placing the keys on the table after I got back from obsessively locking my car in the hotel parking lot ( a nightly Rainman tradition, no matter where I am). Why weren't they there where I had left them? I text Mat assuming that he must have them, but I carefully word it as to not place blame. "Did you see my keys anywhere?" I text. "You're going to kill me." he texts back. Yes. I was going to kill him. And yes, this was not the first time he has taken my keys.

I am forced to take the train into Chicago. Exhaling slowly, this trip won't be so bad for a mother of three, right? Right. It was actually good Mat forced my hand at the train because it was actually the smartest, worrisome ride I could have taken. And, the kids loved it too.

IMG_3587.jpg

Destination: Children's Museum. As we strolled, we came across some interesting things. When you're on a long walk to the Pier, you tend to notice anything to keep the kids from complaining.

Like this:

IMG_3594.jpg

Or this:

IMG_3595.jpg

Finally, we made it to the museum with our fabulous reciprocating museum pass.

Gretchen on the big comfy couch. This was taken after Micah landed head first off the couch. She is howling at my leg as I snip-snap the picture.

IMG_3602.jpg

After the museum, we met up with Mat at the giant coffee bean and then headed for a traditional Chicago dinner.

IMG_3606.jpg

We grabbed a dawg at Portillo's- Chicago Style: yellow mustard, a whole pickle, tomato wedges, onion, sport peppers, and a dash of celery salt. It was really good, and I must have been really hungry because hot dogs are not my usual.

IMG_3616.jpg

And then we ordered a deep dish Chicago Pizza at Gino's east. My fat stage car trip traveling pregnancy has turned into the 2nd trimester. Becket got to graffiti the seat, since the whole restaurant was tattooed head to foot.

IMG_3617.jpg

The pizza was good. And our warm, full, bellies were entirely pleased.

IMG_3618.jpg

Now it was a matter of getting our sleep glazed kids to the train without their dead weighted bodies breaking our arms.

5 comments:

dave&abby johnson family said...

how fun, looks like the trip was a success! glad you guys are home, you were missed!!

Erin said...

Hey - 2nd trimester is great. Nothing wrong with packing on a little traveling weight. I say enjoy the dawg, dawg.

The Singer Family said...

I love your adventures Micki. You make it all look so wonderful and effortless. I need to tap into some of your mad skills for finding fun/obscure things to do!

Caroline said...

Yeah! Chicago looks like fun. Gretchen, I love the shoe-lace pose in the big chair. October trips are the best:)

Emily S. said...

My you guys are busy!! Love reading about the adventures. Do I understand that you are pregnant?!! Congrats if that is true! Sorry if I just misunderstood a joke...