The Stream

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Not Eggxactly What I Wanted

Micah: "Mom can I have an egg (hard boiled) for a snack?"
Me, distracted and too tired to get it says: "Sure, just eat it at the counter."
Micah: "Rweady to hats (hatch) it! Oh no!"



Raw egg wasn't exactly what I wanted.

I took Mat to the airport on Friday and after his kiss goodbye, he realized he had left his wallet in HIS car AND not in his carry-on. CRAP is right!

Not exactly what I wanted, a one 1hr trip to the airport was plenty for me and Micah. Luckily, the people at "Delta, Delta, Can I help ya, help ya?", were nice enough to look up Mat's complete government profile since birth and asked him some pretty far out questions from his history. He passed his interrogation and they let him on the plane.

I cut Gretchen's stringy hair Sunday.



Not Exactly what she wanted, but it's the only hair cut I have figured out for her hair-type. Hair extensions will have to come later for the hair that never grows.

Lastly, sitting at the memorial for Shane the other night was something that none of us wanted. We were supposed to be talking about who was making the vanilla cream pies for Thanksgiving not listening to his life's tribute. Not exactly what ANY of us wanted.

It was nice to breathe stories of Shane and have the chance to laugh instead of cry at the memories. I was sitting by an incredible force-field of people when deep down--I was completely crumbling from the inside. I could not keep it together; Kelli and Jared's singing, a mother's tender-hearted words, Mat's family, and Shane's wife Holly. Especially, dear elegant Holly! She was the anchor to all of us. She had the strength, somewhere deep within her, for the hundreds in attendance and then some. She was amazing. Watching her and her families, gave me the challenge to love a little more and dig a little deeper to take care of others.

Finally, a little more at peace with Shane's sudden passing, but, my mind will often be centered in on Shane's family and Holly and Buddy. Oh Little Buddy, who doesn't love you? His grandpa said he was cuter than most kids, if not the cutest. I would dare say he is cuter than my own and I'm NOT kidding!

He looks like his daddy, and that cuteness will carry us all a long way.

2 comments:

Joellen said...

great job on the hair sister! so sorry about your cousin, that lil boy is pretty cute

Emily S. said...

Sorry to hear about your relative. It sounds tragic. I hope you doing are ok...
I will be praying for you.