The Stream

Sunday, September 12, 2010

No Bull

Becket came off the bus looking so glum the other day. I thought he got a red light, which is the lowest mark on the school's behavior system. That would have been surprising considering his nature.

As it turns out, he was a victim of a bully. Poor guy! This bully was in his kindergarten class last year and Becket's so fortunate to have him in his class this year. The bully is a bit of free spirit and LOVES wrestling and the WWF. Becket said this kid pushed his head and kicked him while they were waiting for the bus to come to return them home. Becket reported it to the bus driver and when the bus driver called his name, the bully hid behind a seat in the bus. Nothing was done about it after that and there was no follow up. Unfortunately, the bully will think 2 secs about this and then move on, Becket stews and stews and internalizes the whys and the how could yous? I wish he thought about it for only 2 seconds.

His Hollywood answer at the dinner table: "Why would you want to be a bully at school? School is for learning, making friends, playing, and having fun. It's not for bullying. Why would anyone want to do that?" Mat and I tried to keep our food in our mouth and our eyebrows pinned down with surprise.

We talked endlessly about it the whole night and the whole next day. We wrote a note to the teacher and talked about being a superhero not a bad guy.

1st grade is tough!

3 comments:

dave&abby johnson family said...

poor little guy! but what a great attitude he has! such a smart cookie!

Rachel Oswald said...

This is exactly why I have major anxiety about ever letting my boys out of my sight. That is so tough. Becket is such a smart and sweet boy. I'm glad he has such great parents to look out for him!

Erin said...

That makes me SO MAD! I just want to take that bully and teach him a thing or two. (I'm much tougher than I look you know) Give Becket a hug from his Aunt Erin and tell him what a sweetheart he is.