The Stream

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Falling into Something

This weekend, Mat got his first wedding gig out of the way. Meet the McKnights:

Mck-Smm-1417.jpg

Mat was asked by a colleague to take her friend's pictures. The professionals were a little out of her budget, so Mat nervously took it on. He took the traditionals and I was there with the 50mm taking the candids. In 6hrs, we took over 1700 photos and then realized we had spent another 6hrs over the weekend editing them. We definitely captured their entire evening and we made sure we had several in focus, but lesson learned: Don't take so many photos.

The next day we cashed in on our anniversary date way back in August. Earlier in the month we had all our ducks lined up with sitters and then Becket came down with a fever. I love it how life throws you a curve ball (more often than not)!

During our escape, we went on a bike ride sidelining the Youghiogheny river and just laughed and pedaled our hearts out until it was time for our tour at Fallingwater. I think I actually snorted at one point.

Micki getting loose

Next, Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright. While we were waiting for our 11AM tour an 81yr old man fell on the sidewalk knocking the back of his head. A relative asked if there was a doctor on site. "Doctor? Did someone say doctor?" Luckily, Mat jumped up and ran to the man while I just rehearsed scenes from movies in my head. He was conscious but had a good fall. They took him to the hospital for further scans and they rescheduled our tour.

On our tour, we got the ins and outs on why Frank put in low ceilings, how he tied in nature to this summer home, and how much he was way over budget when he was done. All very interesting and I mental noted a few ideas for my future home. A must see if you like that kind of artsy architecture stuff. Brad Pitt liked it, Angelina flew him out for his birthday just to see this piece of work. I wonder if they had their own personal tour?



At Fallingwater

Later, we stopped for lunch and ice cream. Still giggling and actually talking without interruptions. What a breath of fresh air this date was...now back to the crazies.

6 comments:

McArthur Family said...

I'm so happy you two had a little getaway doing things you love. I love the bike pictures.

Tell Mat congrats on surviving his first wedding photo session. I'm still editing Doug's sister's pics...takes way to long. And I'm totally envious you have the 50mm....want it really bad.

Holly said...

Is Falling Water close to Morgantown? We would LOVE to go there. There's a Frank Lloyd Wright house close by here we have plans to go see when we have the time. We'll have to go when we come back to WV!

Cheryl said...

I could just stare at the photos on your blog for hours!!! Congrats on the 1st wedding photo session and the shot of u on the bike is awesome...i keep looking at it thinking it is a moving video :)i want photo lessons!!!!
Now to first grade, I'm so sorry to hear about Becket's bully that just stinks and I never thought 1st grade would be so hard. Kylee got told to leave two girls alone the other day as they were heading to their secret spot and didn't want her following along. Do they have a book on what to say as a parent in these situations????? I love Becket's response at the dinner table.

Dave and Mel said...

Hey...you guys and your giggling-makes me smile, thanks for sharing :) I just got all caught up again and love your life...can I have it?

Emily S. said...

I have always wanted to see that house!! One of the many regrets on leaving PA. You are one of my favorite couples! Happy late anniversary!

Becky and Jimmy said...

Beautiful wedding pic! You both are really talented photographers. Can I just say I love how adventurous you guys are? I miss having your fun personalities around to make boring people like Jimmy and me get off our bums and do something!