The Stream

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Freezing Moments

Freezing Moments

Did you ever have a time when you wanted to freeze the stage of life you’re in? I’ve had many of those times: When I first began to date my husband and noticed that he was different than past boyfriends; living in our first apartment on West Street ( it was crummy, yet it was ours); our first drive across the United States to start school on the east coast knowing that everything would be different yet, adventurous; hugging, more like smothering, my first born in the hospital after waiting a long time to get him here; and then smothering my 2nd and my 3rd child after that. These are times I deem freezing moments. That’s right, freezing moments. They are moments that you want to last forever. Moments that make you gulp with sadness because you're afraid they’ll be gone.



I’ve entered into one of those freezing moments again. I want to freeze my children at their exact state which they’re in now. What do I need to do to recreate the ice age? Many strangers will pass me and say “You’ve got your hands full.” Nonsense. I love it! They’re good kids that keep me entertained every day. My kids are now 3, 4, and 6. It seems like each day I am squeezing my eyes tightly trying to remember all their funny sayings, expressions, and problem solving strategies. Help me. How do I go about freezing my two year old’s swimsuit dimpled, suntanned bum? I want to freeze the way my four year old manages everyone in the family in her own little adult way. I just find myself leaning back in my chair and studying her. And my six year old, who will save every spider from a foot about to smash it and will even administer CPR, if needed. These are moments I want to stand still. True, I have bad moments, the fits, the barking, and anger spats. They even have this sixth sense with timing, that when the waiter brings me my food, they always have to go to the bathroom. Unbelievable how they pull that off every time! But, that too is a freezing moment because I know someday, I’m going to miss it. I’ll miss it bad. So, in my mind, I will keep these moments frozen. Frozen solid. Deep freeze solid.

2 comments:

John and Melanie said...

yes... beautifully stated Mic!! I felt like that for a lot of reasons, right before we left North Carolina. :(

Dave and Mel said...

i am with you on this one and tell the kids every year that this is their last birthday! where has the time gone???