The Stream

Thursday, August 26, 2010

59 Minutes Left Of It

Gretchen - Fall 2009
When you are blessed with Gretchen in your home, you are blessed with a wonderful planner. I love this about her, how could I not? Today is her birthday (56 min left of it) and she has been planning her 5 year old party since August 27th, 2009 (day after last year's birthday). You can see why I am just sitting down now to write a birthday best wishes post because she has had her whole day planned out just so, but not overwhelmingly so, just simple.

Last Saturday, we had a little swim gathering with friends and dinner. She titled this the Dinosaur Party. She thought of the theme, games, decor and food. Mat made the invitation with her part pterodactyl, which made her bounce with glee.

And then her actual birthday came, and she informed me that she wanted to eat a rotisserie chicken and albacore tuna for dinner. True carnivore. Then she said, if it was alright, that we go rock climbing after we ate. This made her daddy smile, the rock climbing part of course.

Which brings me to why I'm going to miss her tomorrow. She starts her first day of kindergarten and she is more than excited to be in charge of the classroom and to start writing up lesson plans for the teachers. How I'll miss her. How I'll be thinking about her all day. She's my go to girl and buddy. She is a kid that you ask once to do something and it is done, and done fast. What is Micah going to do?

I thought having been a teacher in the elementary schools that I was going to be one of those moms that would be happy that school was starting, but turns out, I am depressed and in a funk. I felt this sadness in my throat 2 weeks prior to school starting and it still lingers. Anyone else? I'm very observant of my kid's teachers; making sure they are going to teach my kids the right way, they look out for them, and they love them even though their stories can go on for 5mins. I really need to get over it, but I'm a worrier and always will be. I also realize that I am very lame for not appreciating one less kid to haul around on errands.

So tomorrow, I'm sending you off dear Gretchen. I'm sending you out into the world. Be good. Be confident.

(32 minutes left of your birthday)

I'll be in with a snack time treat @ 2:30 --her birthday treat with permission from the teacher, I'm not hovering!

(31 minutes left of your birthday)

Happy Birthday Greti!

4 comments:

McArthur Family said...

Ah, Happy 5th to your sweet Gretchen! I'm sure Jax would have thoroughly enjoyed the dino party for sure. Ok, your table is FABULOUS!!!! I love it! Way to go Mic for the creativity and Mat for the hard work and labor. You all are amazing and I MISS YOU!

What's the Fancy Dance? said...

I know exactly how you feel. It is so hard to let go and send them out into the world. I have a hard time knowing that someone else is going to have them for more hours in the day than me and have that much influence over them. I hope that Gretchen has a fantastic teacher and that she feels loved. Ethan's teacher seems great. I am worried about Cole at home by himself too. Back to that 1 kid syndrome.

Emily S. said...

That picture is adorable! She sounds like such a sweet kid. I guess I'm a bad mom but I am excited for when my kids go to school. Part of it is that life is more structured but I am also really excited for them and all of the fun things that school brings in to their lives. But I appreciate reading your blog because it always makes me take second to really think about what it means to be a mother. And you, my friend, are one awesome mom!!!

Hansen Family said...

I know how you feel!! Kaitlyn goes off tomorrow. Thank goodness is only half day. Love the picture.