The Stream

Friday, July 30, 2010

Trip Home, Eventful

Does anyone ever get any sleep the night before they decide to drive cross country? That's why I took a 2hour nap in the afternoon because I knew that was just what my body would do, not sleep the night before. When it's finally time to go, it's weird to think, "I'll just drive across the country today." And that's when my nausea trigger sets in. (Then I go pick up my car buddy Dannielle, who decided to jump in for the adventure)

1st Leg: Denver, Colorado
We stayed with Aunt Nancy who had fresh tuna salad and pickles waiting for us when we got there. We played Mother May I? in her backyard, and when the 60year old Nancy asked if she could take 2 cartwheel steps, oh yes you may! And yes she did!

IMG_2677.jpg

2nd Leg: Lawrence, Kansas

On the way, I introduced Dannielle to my friend Mr. Chubbuck at the Wonder Tower. She saw his arrowhead collection along with his rare on going collection. Rather windy and cold up top of the tower.

IMG_2682.jpg

two headed stuffed calf
IMG_2683.jpg

Rare Japanese float with a lovely sign telling us we couldn't afford this.

IMG_2686.jpg

After Torrential down pours in Kansas we decided we better pull off and wait it out. We saw a billboard claiming: "Yarn Store, Salina, Kansas exit 217, 2nd Friendliest Yarn Store in the Universe." After the eyebrows went up with intrigue we decided to find it what this was all about.

IMG_2688.jpg

I asked the owner what the 1st friendliest yarn store was in the whole universe and her reply, "The one in your hometown." Smart lady. Smart businesswoman. While walking their quaint downtown, we also found a running store that would measure your pressure points in your stance and video tape you running to match a perfect running shoe for your foot. I've always wanted to do this. Who doesn't want to hear things pertaining specifically to them? Although Dannielle can pull off the skirt and tennies, you should not. Results, Dannielle runs on her toes and I over pronate on my right.

IMG_2694.jpg

After our sign to carry on
IMG_2696.jpg

I introduced her to my other friend Mr. Lessman.

IMG_2697.jpg

Lucky for us, he gives tours WITHOUT his shirt on. Who knew? After a few head shakes and a few "Whoas!" We left Mr. Lessman and the children of the corn, and settled in to our hotel.

Leg 3: Nauvoo and Carthage

To make the trip worth it, we took a jaunt up to some historic church sites. It's hard to believe that the Saints had this nice of set up, and then had to leave it all behind.

Brickyard

IMG_2703.jpg

Schoolhouse (notice how they spelled the word "of" in the sign above the teacher's head)

IMG_2707.jpg

Printing Press

IMG_2708.jpg

And sadly, this is where Joseph Smith, the Mormon prophet was killed in Carthage, Illinois. I often wonder if it all went down differently and the Saints had stayed, if the church would be even bigger and very well invested. Imagine if they didn't have to start over, how ahead they would be.

IMG_2709.jpg

Day 4: Morgantown, WV

We stopped at Wendy's to get some lunch, big mistake. Someone needed to inform Wendy's that I was on a cross country trip with three kids and not to put saxozoos in the kid's meals (a kazoo made like a saxophone). I tried to be understanding that they had been in the car for days, but after 30min of constant playing the saxozoos were put in timeout.

We made a stop to a rock garden. (Thank you Kjars for looking up the address I had lost) In the 1930's this man was laid off from his construction job in Springfield, OH so he decided to build things out of rocks. Talk about detail.

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

We also stopped in on Aunt Joc and the cousins in Columbus, OH and picked a few fresh veggies from the garden.

IMG_2718.jpg

And then home. Hello Mat. Hello house. Hello clean van. Hello endless chores. Hello errands with kids. Hello kids whining about their awful hard life of making beds and not watching tv until their simple five jobs are done. Hello swimming pool. Hello humidity. Hello internet that goes in and out. Hello friends. Hello routine. Hello clothes in my closet. Hello toiletries in drawers. Hello menu board. But, most of all, Hello Mat.

4 comments:

Mindi said...

wait--

did you tell the owners of the japanese fishnet float who you were with?

all you would have had to say is, "ummmm, hello? i'm with DANNIELLE LARKIN. OF THE GREY LARKIN LARKINS. COUSIN TO JEREMY LARKIN? yeah, that's right.....we'll buy it."

looks like fun--so glad you and dannielle could bond cross country!

my forehead thanks you still from it's frozen state. (AWESOME!!!)

McArthur Family said...

another adventure for the harrises. glad you made it safe. love how you write and love how you adore your husband.

Emily S. said...

What a trip!? I feel so lucky we got to see you. Please keep us posted about what's in the future, ok?

Dave and Mel said...

I just read every post from your trip...I am exhausted! Looks like an amazing way to spend the summer and am impressed with your new biking skills...love the S pose :) It was great to see you and hopefully paths will cross again soon. Every time I use your sunscreen I think of you...and that's been a lot out here in Sunny CA! I've got crazy stories to tell so let's catch up soon. Glad your family is back together again and thanks for sharing your cross-country adventures!