The Stream

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm On Pot

Mat left home to WV Sunday,and I decided to stay out in Utah for a little while (Um, I take that back, I'm staying for a long while). I figure if I'm going to drive my squishy pansy out here, I might as well make it worth it. There's just too many things I needed to do. One of the things I've wanted to do was throw a pot. It just so happens that I have a mom-in-law that knows her pottery (yes, the same mom-in-law that make Millennium Falcon cakes) and she owns a kiln and a wheel. Lucky!

After a mini lesson on pottery, here's what I learned:

1) It's cute to watch the grandmother bond with her grandchildren over clay. The kids worked on clay while I tried to WORK the clay. It's a tricky technique.



2) But, it's not cute to keep getting interrupted every 5 seconds by one of my children. I decided it was time for these chitlins to leave. They continued to do what they do best, be under foot, messy, and talky, talky. Impossible learning conditions. You know the feeling? I started out talking calm to the darlings and then I ran out of patience. The kids slowly started chipping away at my solid rock of learning sanity and then there was no other option but to give them the boot.

Goodbye. Scat!


3) You can't be in a hurry to make a pot. There are several steps, so if you want a serving bowl for Friday, it's not going to happen for a few weeks. This is trimming.




This is the leather hard stage



4) With all these stages to pottery, I had little spats of time to fill in with friends and family.

Met up with some old Hershey folks---Moving Melanie, Sweet Caroline, Cheery Cheryl and of course all of the wet kids.





Walked around the temple during garden talks (Oh yes, my mom-in-law is also a master gardner and she helps direct garden talks down by the temple on Wednesday nights.)



Had time to fall in love with the pineapple coconut ice cream at Hatch's Chocolate store. A must if you are in the downtown SLC. I believe it's on 4th ave. They actually had a show on TLC, but it only aired 11 episodes.




Spent some time at the science museums.



I'd like to thank Micah for SHUSHING all those who made comments about the movie. She was completely oblivious to how noisy she was being by shushing everyone in her loud voice. Honestly, it was pretty funny.


You would think by now that the my potted colander would be done, but it is only 2/3 of the way done. We still have glazing. I needed to get down south, so Andrea was kind enough to finish my little project and deliver it to me at a later date.

To sum it up, I learned pottery is a lot of fun and I am inspired to take some classes, possibly upon returning to West Virginia? Any chance you might free up a night Mat so I can do so? I also learned that you cannot, I repeat, cannot have children around while you're trying to pay attention to this fine art.

Can't wait to see my pot.

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

I can't wait to see your pot too!