The Stream

Monday, April 1, 2013

Spring Break Theme Days

Monday:
Errand Day and Picnic at the Park Day
No fun, but a mom's got to do what a mom's got to do.  I picked up a Costco Chicken and gut trucked it out the back of the Queen mum.  I snagged extra paper plates and sporks from the concessions at Costco too.  Tricky Micki! Threw some meat down on their plates, a little Pirate Bootie, and gave them a fruit smoothie.  They were good to go! Play, play, play.

Tuesday:
Dino Day
Watched archaeology on Bill Nye and then headed to the Thanksgiving Pointe Dinosaur Museum.  Kids haven't been since they were under the age of 4yrs old.  They made this jurassic island.

photo

photo

We then hit up IKEA free lunch on the way back because kids eat free on Tuesday.  It had nothing to do with dinosaurs, except maybe how "slowly" the line can move when there are hordes of people.

The kids came home and creatively made their own dinosaur exhibits

photo

Wednesday:
Outside Day
I desperately needed to do some spring cleaning and it FELT SO GOOD.

photo

The kids (well, Becket and Gretchen, Micah takes a while to wake up to the world and make her bed) played outside.  Becket had ordered some spy gear on Amazon and he knew it was set to arrive that day.  He had the most motivation to hang outside.  Oh boy! Was it ever a repeat of the Wells Fargo Wagon when he saw that UPS man coming down the street.  Squeals and thrills! His excitement was fun to watch.

photo

We later took a hike with Mat up to the Bell Canyon Lake.  The kids once again were making moss bombs and blowing up some creature queen they had created. They needed no entertaining.

photo

photo

photo

We also went to a Jazz game and sat in the nose bleeds.  Once you've been wined and dined at a Jazz game with dinner and dessert at half time by KSL, it's hard to sit five rows from the tippy top and enjoy the minions on the floor.  Fancy KSL tickets spoiled it for me. I beg you to share with me again.

Thursday:
Animal Day
Hogle Zoo and This is the Place in one day. Psycho. They are right across the street from one another and I couldn't bare the thought of driving up there again.  Granted it's only 20 mins, but I like to be efficient. Of course we are attracted not to the animals at the zoo, but the animal STATUES. Ahh yes. Where would we be without statues to sit on and yell, "Hey Mom, take my picture!"

photo

Zipped across the street to hold the baby animals at this is the place. Always a treat and let me know if you'd like to go. You would think that the kids would have been exhausted and would go to bed at a decent time.  Forget it. What happened to my 7:30-8PM ish conker-outers? It's more like 10-10:30PM now.  That is not a healthy amount of sleep I remind my kids, but of course they forget it and stay up anyway.

photo

photo

Friday
Easter activity day with a few Bill Nye Science Experiments thrown into the mix

photo

Colored Eastar Eggs, made easter nests, Jell-o easter eggs, hunted, BBQ with neighbors, got an Easter package from Grandma (wowee!), and then came home to watch our baskets, uh hem, I mean brackets get busted in the NCAA tournament.

photo

photo

photo



Saturday
Caveman Day
Watched Bill Nye about caves (we're a little hooked), went to the new Croods movie, and then returned to Aunt Lindsay's house to eat meat with our hands.  True, Mat and I are vegetarians so we gathered while the others hunted. Lots of fun eating dino bone breadsticks, campfire cookies, and having a dino egg hunt.

photo

photo

Sunday
Easter. I spotlighted Jesus for sharing time instead of doing one of the children like I usually do for my sharing time at church. When I asked how many pets do you think Jesus had, Micah's hand shot straight up in the air. She started to list them with her fingers, "I think he had a donkey, a couple sheep and maybe a goat or something?" Cute of her to create the manger scene once again.

The rest of the day we were mourning the loss of vacation time. The house is a dead, erie silent.  It was fun to be with the kids.  I love to step out of bounds of my normal routine and mix it up. I do love these kids.


3 comments:

Kelli said...

Mic, you are so cool. Will you come and be fun with me? By the way, I didn't know you and Mat are full blown vegetarians. I think I need a post explaining. Hope you are doing well!!

Kelli said...

One more thing, so Jared and I rarely eat meat. I'd love some of your recipes!

Amber said...

We were at IKEA too! Sad we missed you guys!! Looks like a great week of fun!