The Stream

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Summer Vacation Before School's Out

Why not ditch school a little earlier? When you can see summer just over the horizon you gotta jump in and make a big splash.  Especially, when it involves Boston, Newport, and Pennsylvania. That's what we did.  Mat had a conference in Newport, RI and it just so happens to be close to Boston, where my fabulous brother lives! We took the whole troop, even Grandma Rexine.

photo

One layover in California, and grandma was prepared.  Look what she pulled out of her Mary Poppin's bag.

photo

We made it to my brother's after a long red eye.  I told the kids that in Boston there was a Dunkin Donuts on every corner. We celebrated by having it for breakfast. AND, instead of slug bug, we played "Hurts Don-ut." Get it?Out of the blue my mom would slug me. It would catch me by surprise every time.

photo

We started off with the duck tour. It's high on the touristy list of things to do and it was a way to see Boston by bus and by water.

Duck tour

It was fun to see the sites with Captain Jack, but I'm afraid the jet lag caught up to my girls.  I paid $20 for this girl to have a nap and the other to doze off now and then.  They were so tired. As for the rest of us, we absorbed the  facts.  Did you know that Boston has the largest Apple store? Becket also got to drive the boat, well, when our bus was a boat.

Duck tour

Here we are in the reflection of this glass building.

Duck tour

Met up with Brian for lunch.  Becket was spacey crazy (jetlag effects everyone differently), so I told him to go outside until he got his wiggles out.  He was entertaining everybody through the window.

Boston

Then we were off to walk the Freedom Trail.

Boston

Follow the red brick road to Harris street!

Boston

Boston



Salem to come.....

No comments: