The Stream

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Man Decides Marathons Are Not For Him

We spent the weekend running. Running down to St George to run the marathon. Mat had trained for this marathon and was excited to run it, but then quickly realized that all this running in large groups wasn't for him. I on the other hand, dig the hype, the energy, the social running! He digs the solo, tranquil, not going-to-talk-to-anybody runs. We are completely opposite and that's why we are still happy I assume. In his words, "It's too crowded and I don't like people cheering for me and I don't like dishing out high fives. I don't like paying to run. I think I'll just do runs on my own from now on." Pure Forest, so Mat. Regardless, I am very proud of him and the other members of my family who participated in the run this weekend.

I rode my bike up with my high school friend Becky. It's convenient nowadays to call up an old buddy to go target our husbands with. We found our husbands just past Snow Canyon. (Becky still has her fabulous legs and figure!)

I felt like I was stalking Mat, because I was able to get around on my bike faster. I was a PI on two wheels! I kept shouting and woot wooing at him as I rode down the trail. I'm sure the other marathoners were impressed at his number one fan. Actually, I'm sure they would have spat on me for having a bike at that point in the race. They were ready to be off their feet.

I pedaled fast to get to my moms house and grabbed a 5 sec shower and the family. I raced over to the CROWDED finish line and I heard a text go off from Mat, "I'm done." I had missed him finish? Nice wife of the year award coming up! Exception:Crowds and traffic are not okay when I'm trying to find my marathon husband cross the finish line. Luckily, he tossed my lack of timing to the wind. He ran a 3 hr 28min race. Pretty darn good. I was able to grab a few pictures with the kids.

I love the glazed eye look. It just says complete and utter tiredness.

Love this one of him and Beck

_DIN0067.jpg

_DIN0062.jpg

Mat had an ice bath at my grandpa's house nicely located a block and a half away from the finish line. Little note: my grandpa was one of the first to run the marathon and he helped keep it going until he was diagnosed with Alzheimer disease. That's why I like this picture. So much of his posterity have ran the race since. I think we counted up to 14.

Other than that, we chilled and watched conference.

Our morning walk....

to the St. George Temple (where Mat and I were married for those that don't know)

3 comments:

Kelli said...

What a funny guy that Mat is! He is SO self motivated. The ONLY way I could run 26.2 miles is if there are hundreds of people cheering me on.

Ashley said...

Loved seeing you guys in SG, even if it was for just a brief moment. Tell Mat sorry from me for being one of those crazy fans that cheers for all the runners...so funny that he doesn't enjoy the hype...ha!
Love the pic of your kids in the street...little Micah with her silly pig-tails...so cute!

shelob said...

Not that I will ever do a marathon again, but I understand the dislike of the crowds. I need some cheering near the end, but it makes me crazy when there are way too many people on the trail with me-- especially if I can't get past them and I have to slow my already snail-like pace.