The Stream

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer freedom coming to an end

Summer is quickly coming to an end. School starts Monday and the kids and I are desparate to make the most of it. I love summer and so do they. No time constraints, I don't bark at them to get their jobs done in the morning, and Micah has her buddies to play with.

This is how we have made the most if it these past few weeks:

We went and saw the Up house in Herriman. It was a great reward since the kids had been to about SIX stores that day shopping for office remodel stuff. It ook a very long time.

They even had Russel and Mr.Fredrickson, complete with the soda pop badge! I didn't see Kevin though.

The Andersons stopped by too. They were bosom buddies of ours in NC.

Kaylee loves Micah and Micah loves Kaylee

We also cashed in on some rewards from the summer reading program. I couldn't believe the generosity of cookies by design. (oh! And this is not our kid, he just wanted to be apart of the picture)

I also cashed in or more like gave my cash, to the case lot sale at Maceys. We are all set for winter soups. I did it with three kids too which took some strategizing, especially when it came time for hauling these cans up three flights of stairs. Thank goodness I made friends with the apartment's roaming teenagers! They took several trips to fetch these cans, all for a mere gogurt. They saved me and I love them.

And speaking of Maceys, Mat has always, I mean always, has talked about their gigantic ice cram cones. He said he often couldn't finish it so on the way home he would throw it at some guys mailbox and tag bloody ice cream all over it. He wasn't a kidding these cones are huge!

And finally my own tetherball tournament that I created with my beloved teenagers of the apartment. I was eliminated in the first round by a fifteen year old named Nick. He totally dominated me. He was so fierce and intimidating with his headband and gloves that I was shaking in my sandals before I even walked on the court. Yep, don't mess.

But the real winner was Jonathan. Turns out he was tetherball champion at his elementary school a few years ago. He lives just downstairs and over from me.

So, goodbye summer and hello school. I hope the kids will have a good year. These first of the year jitters will fly away soon I hope. Meet their mascot, the tiger. Wish it were a liger!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I want to know why you didn't put together a tetherball tourney in Durham. Oh how I love that game! Unfortunately I was not my elementary school champion, there's one in the family though. :)

jweed said...

um, when are you coming back? school started yesterday and it just doesn't seem right withoutcha.

Caroline said...

That cone is huge! I can't believe Matt would do something like that with his leftovers...did he do it again for old times sake? he he.

I love that you organized and competed in a tetherball tournament. I can see why you lost, that kid looks SERIOUS!

shelob said...

So can I come over for soup in January? Oh wait-- I'll be snowed in. Bummer.