The Stream

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mmmmm.The Smells.

That old familiar smell of Christmas. It makes me smile and warms me up a bit.

The smell of gingerbread:

untitled-1424.jpg

The smell of curiosity. Becket made this sign to make everyone aware and ponder the question, "Do elves need help?" He made it and hung it up himself. When I noticed it, I asked him about it and he just thought it would be a great idea. Okay then. So, I ask you, do your elves need help?

untitled-1427.jpg

The smell of very clean donkeys at our local Catholic church's night in Bethlehem. We went to it last year and I must say I've never seen mules so fluffy and soft. The kids also get to make pottery, dreidels, eat food from that time, etc. The church goes all out and that's why I make this a holiday priority of mine.

untitled-1424.jpg

The smell of crisp air about to be lit by the annual Woodburn Hall (a building on WVU's campus) light show.

untitled-1437.jpg

The smell of way too hot, hot chocolate, but you go ahead and burn your tongue anyway, because you're still recovering from the smell of the crisp air.

untitled-1457.jpg

The smell of warmth from our neighborhood get together last Saturday night, hosted by Anna. Such a fine and couldn't be a more diverse group of people on our block. It's nice to know we were all lumped together in our 1480 sq ft, 3bd condos for a reason. We all moved here the same time experiencing the unknowns, the changes, the frustrations of new jobs and no sidewalks and now we're all quite comfortable with each other, even though none of us are alike.

untitled-1460.jpg


Korean and Polish dishes:

untitled-1452.jpg

Iranian dish that I guess Brad is very excited about:

untitled-1454-2.jpg

The smells. It's Christmastime, I know.

5 comments:

Erin said...

It's so true! The smells of the season are the best. My favorite is the smell of the heater coming on in the house -- total Christmas smell. You had some great ones. No surprise there!

LOVED your card this year! That picture of your family is the coolest ever!

Dannielle said...

Tell Mat it is a major social faux pas to have your i-phone out over the dinner table at an ethnic foods gathering.

Kelli said...

All of those different foods look delicious! How fun that you have so much diversity in your neighbors here.

Nothing smells like Christmas like wet snow clothes and kids that smell like wet dogs after playing outside all day. I'm so excited for Idaho.

Rachel Oswald said...

What a fun bunch of neighbors you have up there. I have to give you guys major props on your Christmas card and CD. You guys are crazy talented. Is that a legit photo or did you photoshop yourselves into the picture? Either way, it looks incredible !

Caroline said...

Were those mules really soft and fluffy? I wish I could smell the smell of gingerbread, will you come teach me how? You are one talented lady:)