The Stream

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ginger and Orange Kissing In a Tree

So Christmas baking has had my kitchen dusted with flour for weeks and Mat's hands raw with all my dirty dish washing, but I stumbled upon a new favorite. I happened to be making orange rolls and soft gingersnaps at the same time. I had made the orange flavored frosting already for the rolls and as I was stacking the gingersnaps into towers, I decided to mix sugar with MORE SUGAR by dipping that brown nugget into the orange zesty frosting and it was, ahhhh, delightful. Ginger and orange fused together in matrimony! Here's my invention:

Soft Gingersnaps (Harris Family Recipe)
2 c flour
1 TBSP Ginger
2 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
¾ c shortening
1 c sugar
1 egg
¼ c molasses
Combine sugar and shortening then add egg and cream together. Add the remaining ingredients. Form into 1” balls and roll in sugar.
Do not press. Put on ungreased baking sheet and bake @350 for 12 to 15 minutes (I usually do mine for 10min)

Orange Rind Frosting

3c powder sugar
1/2c butter
3T orange juice concentrate
1 T orange rind

Mix sugar and butter first then add liquid to frosting consistency. Spread on rolls or cookies while warm.

Enjoy!

untitled-1448.jpg

Also, try putting pomegranate into your guacamole. It gives it a sweet juicy spark. Compliments of that Mexican restaurant we ate at in Palm Springs. I just tried to mimic it. Remember the fruit fresh to keep it looking a Christmas green. Your appetizer falls to a UNappetizing gwuack fast if you don't.

untitled-1449-2.jpg

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Looks oh, so good!

sunnie said...

Did you know that putting your avocado pits on your guacamole will keep it from turning brown? Atleast for awhile. I have seen it done and was amazed plus it looked kind of cool.