The Stream

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Holiday Service Talk

Mic: "Kids, whose birthday is coming up?"

I see Gretchen's light bulb go off as she is about to say my birthday, so I quickly rephrase before it bursts out.

Mic: "Whose birthday is on December 25th?"

Becket hesitant: "Um, Jesus?"

Gretchen beams in: "UNCLE PAUL'S!"

Becket: "And Vaughan, in my class."

Mic "Let's go with Jesus."

I go onto explain why Christ is a gift to us in the simplest way I could lump it.

Micah randomly pops in: "I have a little dragon that was this big." Then she shows me about a 6 inch length with her hands.

Mic: "Okay?"

I then go onto explain that since Christ has given us a gift, it would be nice if we could give a gift to someone else who was in need. We could go buy some toys for some kids that won't get to open any presents at Christmas. Mat reads the list of specific things for the kids we're looking at, diapers, cars, trucks, Barbies, Dora etc.

Becket: "He should have a remote control plane. I remember when I had one Dad and you flew it on a windy day and lost it forever. Do you remember that? You shouldn't have flown it on a windy day. We should get him a plane."

Mat: "Yeah, I remember, let it go already! Besides, plane wasn't on the list. You should get him what he wants, not what you want."

Mic: "Does everyone understand what we are to do?"

Becket: "So, Santa doesn't give you gifts if you're poor?"

Mat and Mic sigh.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Bahahaha!

McArthur Family said...

oh yes, classic. Love you and your darling kids!

Emily S. said...

At least you tried right? :-)