The Stream

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Come Back Dorothy, There Is Not Much Going On In Kansas

Down to zero nips and zero soy crisps.

We are on the 5th day of our trip and we are trying to keep our creaky
selves from seizing up.


We left our hotel disappointed that they were charging for continental
breakfast. Are the airlines and hotel conspiring? To get back, I took
the free fruit and complementary mints and ran out the door.

I knew Kansas was going to be monotonous so I tried to find things we could see to break up the trip. Here's what we came up with:

We stopped at the grave of the man who gave us Angus Beef. Quite the
headstone, quite the tribute.

IMG_2112

This is Gretchen after I hogged tied her just to put a band-aid on her sore that she had been complaining about since mile 134. She wouldn't let me get close to it. So dramatic, geez!

IMG_2111

The kids invented a new random game called Equal States where they add the states together and have to guess what state it equals. Makes no sense. Example: Gretchen: “Becket, what is Minnesota + Colorado equal?” Becket: “Pennsylvania.” Gretchen: “No, Montana.” Becket's turn: Gretchen, what is Florida + Arizona?" Gretchen: " Um, Nebraska?" Becket: "No, Iowa." I’m glad I was not invited to play that game, but I am glad it entertained them for an hour.

This picture just screams cavities!

IMG_2114

We did stop at the Wonder Tower in Colorado, and believe me it is a wonder how these things exist. You pay a dollar to go up to the tower and the old man claims you can see all 6 states from the top.

IMG_2120

IMG_2127

Here are the stuffed dummies he uses to lure people up to the tower to make it look like a popular place. I think they've been here for a while.

IMG_2129

The man has a bunch of dusty collected stuff not to mention the 22 rooms lined with framed arrowheads he has found on his walks over the year. Wow!

IMG_2124

IMG_2125

Later that night we had dinner with the Gildeas. We haven’t seen them since we moved from Hershey, PA where we attended med school over 5yrs ago. It was shocking to see that their once 6yr old little girl is now babysitting, texting, and able to join the conversation.

IMG_2132

I love that Pili has not changed a bit. Everyone loves Pili, she could have a sitcom. She's the type that you love the first time you meet her. Oh! How I have missed this family.

IMG_2133

4 comments:

Abs said...

I"m so happy that you got to hook up with the Gildea's! Sophie look so old and just beautiful. I want you to know that izzy was really concerned about Gretchen being to sad in her picture.

jweed said...

that's entertainment! great pics, but you guys will have a book full of stories by the time you return.

sunnie said...

I agree. There isn't much going on in Kansas. My sis lives in Goodland so we went there quite a bit when we were working for them in their McD's. You missed out on the first helicopter museum they have there and the giant Vincent Van Gough sunflower painting!

Emily S. said...

The Gildeas! Good people. We miss them too.