The Stream

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Merry Groundhog Day!

I would like to wish everyone a lovely Groundhog Day! It's such a special time of year! It seems that the Harrises are on a bit of mix up for the upcoming holiday and we keep repeating the same routines daily i.e.

Micah:

Mat: "Don't spill your cereal this time. Keep your bowl on the counter."
Micah spills.
Parents clean up milk splatters all over the wall, bar stools, and wood grooves.
Press repeat.

Exception on Saturday, December 12th, she veered off and did this:

Micah: "Dad, say don't spill Micah."
Mat: "Don't spill Micah."
Micah nods her approval and confidently takes her spoon.
Micah spills.
Parents clean up milk splatters all over the wall, bar stools, and wood grooves.

Gretchen:
Dinner is served.
Gretchen: "This smells Awwwful!" We wait for the pause, so that she can plug her nose, then : "I caaaan't breathe. It just doesn't smell very good."
Mic or Mat: "Gretchen stop whining."
Rivers of tears flash flooding down her face, Gretchen wails: "I can't stop whining. I just keep crying, I can't help it! Tears just keep coming out of my eyes! I can't stop."
A very monotone Mic or Mat: "Then no treat."
Gretchen, still plugging her nose: "How many bites do I have to take?"
A very monotone Mic or Mat: "All of it."
Gretchen: "OOOOOHH!" Flash flood warning still in effect.

Press Repeat.

Becket:

Mic: "Where does your backpack go?"
Becket: "Oh, sorry."
Wait 10 minutes.
Mic: "Where does your backpack go?"
Becket: "Oh, I was just _________________ (Fill in blank with a poor excuse)"
Wait 10 minutes.
Mic: "Where does your backpack go?"
Backpack is placed on mudroom table.
Mic: "Where does your coat go?"
Becket: (well, you get where this is going--hit repeat)

5 comments:

Jeanette said...

Wow I love this, in our house Isaac and Eva are almost identical to Becket and Gretchen. I would now like to hope that it is a stage with the age. With consistancy, maybe with time, there is hope for change.

McArthur Family said...

I love how you take the challenges of parenting and put them in a humorous scenario. You are such a good mom with so much patience and love for your children.

The Singer Family said...

Wow...it's like the world repeats itself over and over in every house across the nation! The backpack part rings the truest here!

Alicia H said...

Hillarious! Sounds pretty much like our house. Name and dates have been changed to protect the innocent...

Erin said...

Ha ha. I think we all have very similar scenarios going on our homes. You and your kids crack me up.

And Kenny and I L-O-V-E the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. Great flick. One you can watch over and over and over...