The Stream

Monday, December 21, 2009

It's different this year...

Moreland, Royce-1

I walked outside to find this gleaming at me and smiled. Mat had made this for me with his own two feet, before my morning jog. As I was walking back, I kid you not, the lamp posts on our street all turned on at once! Mind you it's morning, the lamp posts should be turning off, but I think because it was my birthday, they knew. Oh! They knew! I thought quietly to myself, this year is different. Let me explain:

December birthday people between the 20th-31st can only sympathize with me at this point. Wouldn't it be nice to have a birthday in March or September when nothing is going on and you need a party? As a child, I always thought these would be good months to stick my birthday in. In these months, you need an excuse to have some cake instead of getting rid of all the Christmas goodies! So, I constantly have to battle with my one time of year saying, "It's okay, it's a busy time of year for a birthday." I usually resort to wearing a tiara the whole day,dragging my despairing self around, and repeating the story of my birth for anyone who will listen. What's that you say, you didn't hear it?

Briefly, my mom is in the hospital room, right, giving birth. I come out and the doctors panic. I'm blue, not moving, and not breathing. There was no time for a "It's a girl!" cheer. My mother was frightened. 9 mths and I might lose her were her thoughts. The cord was wrapped around my neck four times. FOUR TIMES ! (that's for emphasis when I tell it in person). I was whisked away and placed into the incubator for a few days until I fought my way to live. Ahhh! It always feels good to tell that story. I know you have all missed it.

Anyway, this year I am finally satisfied. I think I don't need my tiara. No pity parties or self wallowing. I'm okay, you're okay. My family goes out of their way each year to make me feel loved and not forgotten. My childhood wounds have heeled. 32, I'm finally grown up!

PS: Mat-I bought a sweater last year from Costco and haven't worn it until today because there was a slight guilt over my splurge. I wore it today because I figured you couldn't be mad at me on my birthday.

11 comments:

Dannielle said...

Mic. Happy Birthday to you! You really do live in a zoo. I've never thought that you look like a monkey but other people maybe do (in a cute monkey way, of course, not like that monkey that ate that woman's face off). December birthdays suck but you totally don't suck. We LOVE you mostest of all! Have the best Dec 21 ever. Love, Dan

The Singer Family said...

Happy birthday to you, Christmastime gal! I'm glad it's feeling different and I'm glad for awesome 'unwinding' doctors 32 years ago. It seems that you started making people's lives exciting from the moment you were born!

Abs said...

A very happy b-day to you. I hope that when I'm 32 and it's snowing I can make it out of my house for the morning run...
Thanks for your blog postings. They always make me laugh and think "I'm not the only one."

Holly said...

Happy Birthday! Shane and I totally sympathize with you. We were just saying that we never get anything for our birthdays because we say "oh we already got christmas presents." Lame. I'm going to buy myself a car tomorrow.

Jeanette said...

Happy, happy Birthday Mic! I love the story of your birth, thanks for sharing. I am glad that it was a happy day for you.

Kelli said...

Happy happy birthday! I wish I could be there to do something for you. You have been determined ever since your first day of life! Add me to the list of people who are grateful for your birth and your friendship!

McArthur Family said...

Four TimeS!!! You are a miracle child! It's obvious the Lord need your brilliant self here on this earth so you could honor Dec. birthdays and be the wonderful mother, wife, and friend you are. I hope your day was glorious! I sure think you are wonderful and I feel honored to know you! happy 32nd!

Emily S. said...

I had forgotten that your birthday was so close to Weston's! I know he can relate to his birthday being combined with Christmas. Sorry. Happy, happy birthday to you!!! Love ya!

Rachel Oswald said...

Happy BDay crazy girl! I can only imagine how lame it would be to have everyone combing your BDay with Christmas. Glad this year is different. Love the birth story - sounds just like you - always causing drama :)

sunnie said...

My birthday is in that time frame too. This year my son said, "You are sooo lucky you get presents so close together." I am sure you know the reply. Happy Birthday!

Alicia H said...

You are so HILLARIOUS! I LOVE IT! I miss you MUCHO! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Was it the 21st? That is my sisters birthday too! WHO KNEW?!?