The Stream

Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Honeycrisp


It is apple season here in Minnasoooda. We sang our way to the happy little orchard where the Honeycrisp Apple was invented this weekend. Little history-it took almost 20 years of using cross over hybrids to develop this apple. We got the Gala from New Zealand, the Fuji from Japan and you guessed it the "new kid" on the block, Honeycrisp from our own soil. It's a hearty tree that does well in cooler climates. It is dynamite and in fact, they're having a hard time keeping up with demand. They say , it's so crisp it snaps and it does. The piece of apple almost pops off into your mouth. Mat downed two of them in the car in a matter of seconds repeating, "This has got to be one of the best apples I've ever eaten." "Dang right! and I second that," is what I said.
We also had a few hay rides, an ice cream caramel sundae, and a few old fashioned doughnuts.

6 comments:

Stoker Family said...

nothing like crisp apples

Emily S. said...

I love that activity! You really are making the most of your time there.

Angie Cazier said...

seriously, you guys should have a tv show taking us with you on all of your excertions and activities. you never miss an opportunity to do something fun with the fam, i love it

Erin said...

Looks delicious! Feeling like I should now put down the butterfinger I'm currently eating.

Team Draughon said...

I love these apples! They sell them at the Target here! I bet fresh ones are even better!

Rachel Oswald said...

So I guess I am off to Target then...I was getting so jealous thinking you could only find these treasures in MN. You are so fun and creative with your kids. We can't wait for you to return to NC!