The Stream

Monday, June 20, 2011

Manwarings/Father's Day Flop

The Manwarings are back in town! Jared was taking his boards on Monday, so they came for the weekend. I love her like a sister and I am glad we got the chance to hangout before we packed up and moved to the other side of the country. She moved about a month prior, and before that I missed having her as a neighbor. We carpooled, babysat, borrowed sugar and bounced ideas off of each other. I was excited to dive into old times.

Our plan was to rock climb at Coopers but because Mother Nature turned her partly cloudy weather day forecast into all the all day cloudy with rain forecast, we decided to have a BBQ close by at a local park in between raindrops.

photo

Oh how I miss a good baseball game! Jenny was my tricky pitcher.

photo

Father's day was Sunday so I attempted to make a lovely pancake breakfast. I've packed most of my things and I figured pancakes would be simple. Well, they are simple if you read the directions right...baking soda does not equal baking powder and it will leave a sour taste in your mouth. After tasting the first batch, I dumped it down the sink not realizing my mistake. I made a second, dumbed-down version and still didn't realize my mistake. I also burned the second batch while cooking them too. You can't even see them because they are so camouflaged in the pan. So, then I made crepes, this time recognizing my mistake, I used powder instead of soda. People didn't starve like it was fast Sunday, the crepes didn't have a sour after taste and with enough Nutella everyone could choke them down.

photo

After church, I gave Kelli the moving chef challenge (that's supposed to be said into a thundering megaphone). I told her that her secret ingredient was salmon (since I had that in my freezer) and the only rule was that she had to use what was in my house. Naturally, we are competitive so it made it fun and interesting. Kelli made a salmon salad with couscous and edamame and I made salmon covered in olive tapenade wrapped in phyllo dough. Both turned out well and the fruit pizza complimented it afterwards.

photo

We played the rest of the weekend. We caught fireflies at the arboretum, swam with our good friends the Weeds (who I will also miss), and we hung out literally at the park. It will be sad to part from the Manwarings for a bit, but I always hope they will come see us in Utah, just like anyone else passing through! It's the journey this doctor in training biz, I guess I'm just happy to meet all the people that come with it!
photo

3 comments:

Kelli said...

What a fun weekend! Thanks for a wonderful time. When we pulled into our apartment Jules started crying out, "No, Micki's house!" over and over. We miss you guys! You'll have to let me know when you post the pics from our weekend on Flickr. Loves!

literaqueen said...

Hey, I could have joined that challenge . . .

jweed said...

dang, those are some good lookin' women in those pictures! especially the prego in the bathing suit. (when did you sneak that picture?!) miss you and kelli both!