The Stream

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

He Admits It!

Funny story about March Madness.

Mat has always teased me for PRETENDING to know everyone from St.George. When we were first married if someone would say, "Do you know so and so?" My response was always "Yes" or "Are they from that family clan" or "The name sounds familiar?" I would never say that I didn't know them. St. George is a small town, or was a small town, I should say! And it doesn't help that my mother, aunts and uncles seem to know all family trees. So, Mat's response to me would always be, "You don't know them, you're just pretending~ You St. George people and knowing everybody"

So, I'm in Harrisburg this weekend and he's in Motown and we're watching the BYU game together at the same time, but different places and up pops Dave Rose (head coach for BYU). I had forgotten he was the coach and I did play basketball with his daughter at Snow Canyon. I promptly texted Mat and told him I did in fact know BYU's coach personally and I'm famous!" Mat's texted response, "I admit it. You do know everyone from St. George." It was a victory for BYU and myself this past weekend! (and no, I don't know everybody from St. George, but if Mat asks, I always say I do!)

Prologue

Aunt Kris

Actually, Dave Rose is married to Jane (name changed) who is a sister to Susie (from Santa Clara)..who I used to play softball with. Mic....just thought you would like a little more info in order to further impress Mat...


Post Prologue

ME

I know Susie! I played softball with her daughter. Mom, is that the same family related to the Smith's? Mat is going to need an oxygen mask.

Post, Post, Prologue

Aunt Trish

Mic - I don't think Jane is from Smith's line! For what it's worth, Jane(Dave's wife) graduated with Kurt and I. Dave was at Dixie when I was and we even had classes together. Put that feather in Mat's bike helmet!

Post, Post, Post, Prologue

Uncle Scott

Well I should add my connection in as well. John Gordan(son of Susie and married to Karen Johnson) and I are very good friends, in fact he ran over my foot with his VW Bug.

Post, Post, Post, Post, Prologue

Aunt Kris

And the Johnson's just lived 2 houses away from us on Main Street....I think that is an important fact that Mat should know as well.....

Post, Post, Post, Post, Post, Prologue

Aunt Trish

WE ALL NEED HELP - CALL THE DOCTOR - OH! THAT WOULD BE MAT!!


?

4 comments:

Shauntel said...

This makes me laugh because whenever anyone says that they're from St. George or know someone from St. George, I always have to figure out how I know them. As though I know everyone there.

However, when I visit now and go to the store, I don't run into ANYONE I know anymore. Our little town ain't so little anymore is it?

But still I think I'm the bomb and I pretend that I'm well connected. :)

Rachel Oswald said...

You and Kolby both. We had the Elders over the other night and Kolby kept trying to figure out how he knew people the Elders knew. I wouldn't be surprised if you did know everyone in St. George though - I guess it's just that social butterfly in you :)

andrea said...

From this Parowan native who has run into people I know all over the world....that's your best post ever!! I'm laughin', I'm laughin'

Dave and Mel said...

When we were watching the game, I was telling Dave how famous I was because I used to serve Coach Rose ALL THE TIME at The Pizza Factory in Provo--we were practically BFF's! His daughter also worked there and we were BFF's too! I love being so Famous!