The Stream

Saturday, January 1, 2011

"Can I Stay up for New Year's?"

I knew it was coming. The day my kids ask to stay up for the New Year. I tried to tell them that it's not all that it's cracked up to be: lot's of stalling, especially in the last five minutes, skimpy clad rockers, lots of kissing, and no one bangs pots and pans anymore (police come and get ya).

Well, at 11:50PM Gretchen and Micah conked out and I couldn't get them to wake up. Are you kidding me? It was like slapping a dead fish. WAKE UP!

Here's proof, Becket took the picture because Mat was already in bed.

IMG_4220.jpg

Becket managed to keep his eyelids at half mast. Once the ball dropped, that was enough for the both of us and I said, "Time for bed." I hauled the girls upstairs and then my second wind kicked in. I was up until 1AM and I knew I was going to pay the price for it in the morning.

7AM I hear crying. I check on Becket to make sure he is still not crying about Christmas being over and then I slam into Gretchen coming out of her door. She's wailing, "I miiiisssssed NEW YEAR'S! Oh! Why?! Why did I have to miss New Years? Oh!" I rushed her downstairs to keep the others from waking and we watched the 2009 version on YouTube.

Gretchen:"But it says happy 2010?"

"Good Enough!" I told her.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I love it! BTW- my family still does the pots and pans banging. :)

Kelli said...

That's an awesome story. It's like when Greti was sick while we were babysitting and she was totally devastated that she fell asleep and missed the movie. Ha! What a gal.

Erin said...

Good enough indeed. Love it. My kids wouldn't make it past 8:00! Of course that's because they are up every morning at the crack of dawn.

Happy New Year to you darling Mic! Hope you have a great 2011. Looking forward to reading all about it! :)

Emily S. said...

Hilarious. Our younger kids celebrated the countdown with the East and then went to bed. I was content to do the same except Addie and Isaac begged us to stay up. Ugh. Hey - did you have a blast with the Gordons? I hated to miss out :-)