The Stream

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Kindergarteners Hit the Road!

_HAR1321

They went to the farm. Nothin' special, just a lot of rotted smells and dirty, flying hay particles seeping into my nostrils and lungs.

_HAR1291

Once I realized I wasn't going to die, I had a good time at the farm by taking notice of the secondary things. I'll call them side shows.

_HAR1313

Side Show #1

Witnessing the teachers freeze, then exhale, then begin their 4th head count of 36 students. Their faces give off an intense, concentrated look because they have to block out persistent, unrelated questions from their kindergartners, while trying to remember what number they were on. I watched one teacher recount three times because she kept coming up short 1. They looked so exhausted.

Side Show #2
Witnessing two kindergartners trying to hold hands very sneakily. A riot and a NO, NO all at the same time! The couple are below in the center--the boyfriend is holding up the peace sign. What a dream to have your boyfriend hope for world peace!

_HAR1294

Side show #3

Grandma taking the position of head teacher. I watched her try to keep several kids in a uniform line without even knowing the kids names. Impressive, but unnecessary at a farm. She looked exhausted too.

_HAR1277

Side Show #4

Watching Micah find several new places to fall asleep. I wonder, if in her world, she just walks around all day thinking of odd places to fall asleep? I really do. This is the 3rd spot she tried out while on the field trip and I'm not fibbing.I never fib.

_HAR1319

Side Show #5

Witnessing my daughter take a peek at the INSIDE of a school bus. We watch Becket go in and out of the bus twice a day, but Gretchen is always on the out. She got special permission from the bus driver to check out the interior. She was satisfied. Oh! Just thinking about her leaving for kindergarten next year makes my throat swell up to the size of a cantaloupe and my eyes blur. I'll be down to one child which scares me. LITERALLY SCARES ME. Not because that child is a weird, eccentric sleeper, but I'll just have one more and I'm not ready for these kids to grow up. They get awkward, pimply, and have bad timing on their humor. It's just like seeing the cute, little ducklings at the farm, don't you wish your kids could stay cute and furry all the time?

Now I feel like I have swallowed that cantaloupe in my throat and it hurts.

_HAR1315

5 comments:

sunnie said...

I LOVE your photography. I want you to take our family photos this year! OK so I know that is not going to happen.

Holly said...

I love that the reason you're scared for your kids to grow up is pimples and awkwardness. It's true though. I still haven't grown out of either of those. I'm sure I was as cute as buddy at one point in my life.

Maren & Danny said...

thanks for the insighful sideshows-hilarious! Aren't field trips the best?

Melanie said...

I too am so impressed by your beautiful photos. You are an amazing artist.

Emily S. said...

That reminds me of my recent field trip to the zoo with Cate's kindergarten class. I wish I would have had as many sideshows! I am sure I did but I just didn't notice them...thanks for the laughs.