The Stream

Friday, May 7, 2010

I Must Have Done Something Good (Sound of Music song 'member)

Maria singing to Captain Von Trapp from the musical Sound of Music: "Somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something goooood."

This song popped into my head because, before bed I just gave my oldest child a hug and a kiss and as I started to descend down the stairs when I heard his soft little voice say, "I am so glad I have a mother like you, Mom." It melted me or he could be playing me, but either or--- it STILL melted me. He's a pretty literal and sincere kid, so I'm going with the latter. What an early unexpected Mother's Day present.

Also, thank you Gretchen for all of your chalk written "I love you Mom. Love, Gretchen" dedications plastered all over my driveway complete with butterflies and flowers. My driveway IS thee most colorful in the neighborhood until it rains in 0100 hours.


In case you are still humming the song (it's quite catchy), here are the words:

[Captain:]
For here you are, standing there, loving me
Whether or not you should

[Maria:]
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good

[Maria and the Captain:]
Nothing comes from nothing
Nothing ever could

[Maria:]
So somewhere in my youth
[Captain:]
Or childhood
[Maria:]
I must have done something . . .
[Maria and the Captain:]
Something good


Mom, thanks for giving me a lovely childhood and Andrea thanks for giving me a lovely husband. Happy Mother's Day!

5 comments:

Rachel Oswald said...

That is the sweetest thing! And knowing Becket, it was nothing but genuine. And he IS lucky to have you as his mom! You are definitely on my top 3 list for the most fun moms! Happy Mother's Day!

Jeanette said...

I love it! Your kids are very sweet, but very truthful. You are a great mom. I love the quotes this week. There is always a good laugh or smile when I visit the Pipeline.

Maren & Danny said...

So sweet! I am getting all misty eyed just picturing it :0) Don't you just love when they surprise you with something so sweet & sincere...makes all the poopie diapers worth it

dave&abby johnson family said...

you are too cute my friend, and such a good mommy! your children are darling!

McArthur Family said...

Mic, you are a WONDERFUL mother. I serious wish I could be a fly on the wall and just watch you be the mother you are. I'd be taking notes as fast as my little fly hands would write =). You're calm, patient, very aware, and constantly giving your children the best a mother can give. Love to you!