The Stream

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Farm Show Tips

For those readers who have lived in Pennsylvania, you'll remember the Farm Show that always takes place the second week in January. Farmers from all around bring their prized animals to be judged. They spend the week there, living off of Cheezits and catching any sleep they can, even if it means they're the show.

IMG_4934

The REAL reason why most Pennsylvanians come to the show is for the food. (If you're pregnant plug your ears) They have homemade ice cream, soups made from their grown vegetables, waffles with fresh flavored honey and ice cream, thick chocolate milkshakes, apple dumplings, maple cotton candy, and any fried vegetable you can imagine.

The Flavored Honey
IMG_4887

Mushrooms all dolled up
IMG_4889

A few tips

The things you came to see at the farm show are not always the most popular

For example, the maintenance man's getting around truck:

IMG_4886

IMG_4900

or the Chicken Coop:
IMG_4878

A mighty FINE Chicken Coop I might add for a very reasonable price! I might have to consider this purchase in a few years.
IMG_4874

Order just the powder and not the doughnut
IMG_4896

Horse brushes are not for our own hair, but children don't know that
IMG_4927

Neither are stuffed alpacas good for feeding their cousins, the llama

IMG_4928

Bring lots of wipes and don't wear white:

IMG_4955

IMG_4953

Don't argue with these two! You never win and it only makes it worse.
IMG_4945

Plan to have lots of fun! The Farm Show, where a kid can be a kid!
IMG_4885

8 comments:

dave&abby johnson family said...

LOVE that you guys went to the farm show. You guys always do the most fun things!! You are a cute mommy and your kids are darling.

Natalie said...

Aaaah the farm show. Brings back good memories. That is awesome you got to go. I guess it's not too far to Harrisburg from where you are at.

sunnie said...

Looks fun! Hey I remember you telling me you read The Help. We are considering reading it for our bookclub but want to know if it is a clean book. By this I mean, does it have bad language, graphic sex scenes, etc? Is it PG or R? Just post on my blog when you have a minute. Thanks!

sunnie said...

Out of those books I have only read the Memory Keepers Daughter. I didn't really like it because I thought it was so sad. It was well written and I couldn't put the book down. It has been a year since I have read it, but it seems like there were a few paragraphs I had to skip over. It is probably rated PG-13. This isn't a book I would highly recommend, but it is not one I would say to stay away from either. So there is my opinion, take it or leave it.

Cheryl said...

I LOVE and Miss the FARM SHOW. Way to stay true and loyal to it!

Dave and Mel said...

oh, the food!!!!!!!!!!! I am bummed we didn't go down and meet you- I thought about just jumping in the car and surprising you, but didn't...obviously.

Abs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abs said...

Yeah, I don't know why I only made it once the entire time I lived in PA. I seem to remember a sculpture made out of butter...?