The Stream

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mary vs Martha Inner Turmoil

Dear Friends,
Have you ever had your own inner battle taking place with in the walls of your head? It seems lately, that if I wake up and decide to put something on my to do list, it HAS TO BE DONE. I don't know why, I consider it some kind of a sick twisted challenge to make my life maybe a little more exciting. I should relax, I KNOW, I TRIED! People say that as you get older the messes and undone projects won't bother you as much, but honestly, I think I'm getting worse as I get older. It's some type of mental freakish obsession. I was explaining this to my home teacher (why I was explaining this to my home teacher? good question) and he said, "so basically you have a hard time procrastinating?" "Yes, Yes that's right, I guess, I have a hard time procrastinating (in my head I'm thinking, "that sounds really stupid! I can't procrastinate. Shawh!")." Then I realized, he's right. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, UNLESS YOU"RE ME. I so desperately want to leave toys strewn all over the house and walk out the door, but then the challenge fever comes into play and I then dare myself to do it in 60seconds flat. And, the whole time I'm picking up the toys the cannons are going off inside my head with comments like, "what the heck are you doing?' 'you should be outside putting on your shoes' .....I know, just a few a few more toys' ....you're going to be late" and so on. I'm just beside myself.....unless any one would like to sit by me, then I won't sit by myself, beside myself, anymore. Anyone? Please?

Signed-Martha

If you are a Mary, don't call the shrink just yet.

7 comments:

Shauntel said...

Yesterday I picked up Jess from school to come home and have lunch with me. As we were walking in, I was like, "I'm sorry the apartment's a mess. I didn't even have time to make the bed." And he was like, "You know that only one of us here cares, right?"

I share your obsessive complusiveness Friend. We have problems. :)

Angie Cazier said...

I am so there with you. When you find an answer to this martha complex will you please share cuz lately I've been exhausting myself trying to do it all.

Rachel Oswald said...

Though I used to be the same way, this pregnancy has taken it all away and our house is pretty much a pigsty all the time - so I envy you. Caroline would NEVER call this house emaculate like she does yours :( I'll never be good enough!!!

Caroline said...

Does that come in pill form? I could really use some.

Shannon Stoker said...

Does it work if someone else adds items to your daily to do list? Maybe I'll try just in case it does....

Micki's To Do List Monday 10/27:
1- Come clean Shannon's house
2- Steam clean Shannon's carpets
3 - Set up the 2nd shelf in the garage at Shannon's house that has been sitting for 3 weeks waiting to be assembled

Unfortunately for me, I don't share your problem

Dave and Mel said...

I always loved and hated this about you! it is inspiring and sickening how quickly you get everything done!

Jennie said...

I completely sympathize with you. And the Mary's of the world will never understand us.