The Stream

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day



I think my wife is pretty amazing, and here is why. The day Becket was born, she was very nervous before the delivery. She kept saying she didn't think she was ready to be a Mom and didn't know what to do with a kid. Miraculously, minutes after giving birth, while she was first holding him in the recovery room, all that nervousness went away and I could see this new glow come over her. I was amazed how she physically looked different as she took on this new mantle of motherhood. Ever since, she has been completely focused on being a Mom, and I think she does an amazing job at it. She has been lucky to have a great mom and close friends who have all supported her along the way, but deserves most of the credit herself. She is constantly worrying about how to teach our kids what they need to know to survive in this world, and despite their, at times, bizarre personalities and objections to being taught, she manages to make them learn. Most of all, she just genuinely loves her kids, as all good mothers do. I'm very grateful I have her.

6 comments:

Emily S. said...

That is so sweet! I love the video. Happy Mother's Day Micki - you are a great one :-)

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Happy Mother's Day Mic! Knowing you I'm sure you are a darling mother! The video was so fun (your son singing was adorable) and I love the new pics at the top of your blog. Especially the one of Becket with his arm around Gretchen in the field...priceless!

Rachel Oswald said...

What a cute post. Cohen was cracking up watching Micah giggle. I am going to have to take a photography course from you Mic, your pictures always turn out amazing!

Becky said...

Man, I wish my husband would write something like that for me! Mic is a wonderful Mom. What a cute family you have.

Dave and Mel said...

I love Becket's little song and definitely agree that Micki is an incredible mother! thanks for the great example- they are all lucky to have you Mic!