The Stream

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Surgery, Rural Villages, and Lavash Bread Making 101

There were some cases that Dr. Armein was saving for Mat to help her with, so again, he went to the hospital to train.
DSC_2923.jpg

DSC_2928.jpg

DSC_2942.jpg

DSC_2946.jpg

I traveled to the local village to visit a branch members home.

Erik, also a member of our church, driving us through the village

IMG_5054.jpg

This lady is the acting relief society president in this branch.

IMG_5021.jpg

Her husband lost his arm in an car accident and there was no work for him to provide for his family.  There is no work period in Armenia, but with no arm, that is considered a handicap, and handicaps come with a lot of shame. Her husband had the idea to collect rocks and cut them into smooth, fine stones.  It takes about 4 hrs to do one stone after he polishes them.  He pricks a small hole in the center and they are now ready to be worn as a necklace or earrings.



New little bunny for rabbit stew

IMG_5029.jpg

Rocks he collects

IMG_5031.jpg

Drill

IMG_5032.jpg

This is their home made out of cement.  They plan to build a second room for their son and his expectant wife when they have the money.

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5036.jpg

I bought enough stones that day to pay half of his year salary, which doesn't amount to much in US dollars, but to them.... this was a good business day.  We were laughing because I started to help bag the stones, but couldn't get the bags open.  I told them the bags must have been made in another country and then they all started laughing.  Surprised my comment would have such an effect. Note to self: make jokes about bags in other countries more often.

IMG_5038.jpg

Sister Stone warned us that because they don't have much, we should tell them we can't stay long and have another commitment, for fear they would try to feed us.  They fed us anyway.  They love to eat bitter plums and apricots, the green kind we thin out and throw away in America. They also have yummy cherry juice which is to die for.  Oh it's so good.  I was careful to leave a little in my glass, so she didn't feel the need to refill it. She refilled it anyway.

IMG_5039.jpg

They wanted me to try the local candy, Grand Candy.  It was a lovely dark chocolate which I brought back for you to try if you choose to visit me. I am fond of the squirrel.

IMG_5040.jpg

What great people.  I only hope to have a ounce of the salt of the earth these people carry.

IMG_5041.jpg

The Readings took me to the last metro stop to see the ladies make Lavash bread.


DSC_2976.jpg

Oh my! Was this a treat to see. Here is inside their shop.  Wires and cords are typically strung from corner to corner and then docked into the closest socket.

IMG_5064.jpg



Three ladies work in this little cement building with a pitted fire. Two make the bread, and one to run the shop. One sits on the left and one on the right

IMG_5056.jpg

They cut the dough and make it into little circles.  They don't use much sugar with their yeast either making their bread flat. These ladies are so sweet and just what you picture a bread lady to be.

IMG_5059.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

And away they go! One will roll and toss to the mat made out of old levis. While the other lady picks up the dough, waves it around like a pizza, flattens it out on to the levi cushion and then pats it up against the wall of the fire.  Repeat. Taking them out of the fire in between rolling.

DSC_2965.jpg

DSC_2967.jpg

DSC_2969.jpg

Before I knew it, I was summoned over to come and try.  At first, I didn't understand what she was  saying, then she spoke a little louder with force to get me to come here. Oh she was cute with her powerful Armenian accent. I was delighted.  "Not like theeese. Like theeese," she would say as I rolled out the dough.

DSC_2972.jpg



Other interesting photos from the day

flower shops every where.  This gal finished making a wreath for a funeral.  When they mourn their dead, it takes place in their house.  People crowd around and kiss and hug the person who is deceased. The family will not leave their house for two days.

DSC_2974.jpg



Plastic Subway Coins

IMG_5074.jpg

Tape over the crack in the wall, assuming this was a form of measurement

IMG_5076.jpg

I found the candy isle in the local grocery store!

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

We later had dinner at Bejing with the Readings.  The vegetable cashew even had extra cashews, which is the way I like it. Oh and they had ice, but only by requested.

IMG_5083.jpg




2 comments:

Shauntel said...

1. Thank you for taking us on this adventure. I'm loving every minute. :)
2. Loving those stones. Let's get them on Etsy!
3. You have really amazing tourist clothes. I mostly look homeless when I travel...

Sandy White said...

I am really enjoying reading your blog and love learning about Armenia! What an amazing experience.