The Stream

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Oatmeal Pen Pal

This has been a letter correspondence in our family between the cousins Gretchen and Allie (2nd cousin)
Dear Allie-
My mom picked up dinosaur eggs yesterday at the store because I ask to try them every time we go down the cereal isle (oatmeal with candy dinosaur eggs that hatch and turn into dinos, made by Quaker). Even though my mom knows that I'll only eat the real sugary part instead of the oatmeal, I was happy that I talked her into it. That brings me to my question, do you still eat dinosaur eggs, like you did when my mom came for a visit in her college years to do that student teaching rotation in Vegas?

Signed,
Gretchen

Dear Gretchen,

This is a very sad story. It pains me that you even brought it up. We used to eat Dinosaur eggs every morning. However, the Walmart that my mom shops at now does not carry them. But, I hope you understand how much I want to eat them. I have heard that Smith's has them, but my mom does not go there very often and when she does she forgets to look for dinosaur eggs. Please eat a bowl for me and my brothers.

Your cousin,
Allie

Dear Allie-
I tried the dinosaur eggs. I ate the dinosaurs, but not the oatmeal. I remarked in my slightly dramatic tone, "This tastes awful on my tongue!" My moms mad. You can have the rest of my dino eggs if you want. Maybe my mom can cool off at your house until she gets over this.

Sincere Oatmeal Hater,
Gretchen

1 comment:

Rachel Oswald said...

Funny you should post this. Cohen discovered these for the first time today at Target. They place them so strategically at kids' eye level. He claimed he needed them to feed his dinosaurs. He threw a bit of tantrum when he realized the box was no longer in the cart at checkout. Oops! Your Gretchen is such a funny one!