The Stream

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Holiday "Break" (Literally)

What started out as a beautiful day....

Whole family skiing

Untitled

Untitled

We had just had lunch at the top of the ski lift

Untitled

We started to make our way down

Untitled

I started on ahead to go catch Becket and got going too fast and put too much weight in my heels causing my to loose my balance and I came down on my left hand to brace my fall.  I thought it to be a sprain, but when I lifted my jacket I found my arm to be hanging.

I was so bummed, just because it was such a great day, broken arms are expensive, and I knew it was going to be a while before I could get back to my routine. I'm not very good and staying down.  I just stomped down the mountain and refused to parade myself on the toboggan. When I got into the clinic, the nurse said, "you're lucky! the girl before you broke both of her arms."

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Surgery the following Tuesday

Untitled

Now I just wait until this metal plate holds my bone down to heal itself.  The body is remarkable.  I will be bionic for the rest of my life.

Untitled

Untitled

I'm glad I had the surgery.  I was one of those borderline cases where my bone could have kept dislocating even if I had a cast.  I decided to go with the nuts and bolts so I could stop feeling the bone rubbing on bone.  I felt so much better after my "distol displaced radius fracture" was not going to be going anywhere. It also turned healing time into 2wks vs 8wks in a cast.

My cute neighbors brought me meals for a week causing me to cry in gratefulness.

Untitled

I hate putting people out over a dumb mishap, but I really could not cook and Mat was gone the next day to St. George.  I could pour a mean bowl of cereal with the assistance of my kids :-) but a warm meal was so nice for my kids. "Who's bringing dinner tonight mom?" they asked. They got used to the new food surprises.  God works in mysterious ways.  I've been struggling a little with my spirituality.  It's not as solid and unshakable as it used to be. Everyone has to dig deep within there soul to find their light and I suppose setbacks like this, make you realize there is something else out there and a whole lotta kindness to go with it. How we are all connected to each other and how we all need each other.  What a time for reflection and neck kinks as I've laid here the past two weeks healing (with my right hand Foo man).

Untitled

No comments: